I have become THAT GUY

Angelfish

Lots of amusement here on what you have , had, or attitude towards what you may acquire. Now the word 'hoarder" is popular in use, before it was collector. Hoarder may be more accurate BUT if we hadn't acquired these parts they may be long gone as scrap metal. Think of Barney Pollard and the cars he saved and hung from rafters and then surrounded for people not to see to have them saved from scrap drives..............Most collectors will have to look his name up if your are age 55 or younger. James Melton, Austin Clark , and many of the early AACA founder members were just considered odd. At AACA annual meetings when held in Philadelphia many many decades ago I had the chance to talk to some really interesting people , some who had collected cars prior to WWII. They weren't considered hoarders - just odd.

At some point the hoarders collections of collections are starting to appear for sale due to the fact those that collected the stuff are now in their 90s. Just be glad they did - especially the small trim ( lights, mascots, etc) stuff that saw more opportunity for damage , wear, etc. The more decorative stuff is eye candy - makes you feel good no matter how many times you see it . Automotive soul food. ( Terry Bond are you reading this my friend??)

Think we are "bad" what about the people who collect/restore/like old phonographs, music boxes , toys, radios, weather vanes, etc...........? ( yeah I have some of that too 🙃) Old photographs "talking machines" are great but it takes a lot of effort to listen to one 78 rpm record then have to flip it over to play the other side  - solution is to buy and restore a similar era juke box ( if you have the space) so for a nickel you can continue to play for each coin a tune and have a selection of 20 to do so...............yeah I restored one of those 35+ years ago too.

Had a few people contact me asking "what juke box  ?" so here it is, pre war as are my cars, plays 78 rpm records, has tubes like a car radio of the same era ( late 1938-39) made by Wurlitzer. weighs more then I do ! to move I was a lot younger when we got it into the house and into he basement down the rear stairs. It was a good but used original that at the time the "fad" was to convert these to play 45 rpm records. Fortunately the guy I bought this from did not and he apologized for not doing so. I THANKED him for not doing that. partial dismantal and then restore , some replating, new fabric , lots of cleaning and polishing and fine tuning - just like a old car.

Walt

JUKEBOX1938 one.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 9/18/2024 at 5:09 PM, erichill said:

It could be worse. If you are into Ford Model A's there is so much stuff being offered at crazy low prices you cant stop yourself  from snatching it up. How many Model A chassis rear ends, steering wheels and such does a person need? When the ad says $150 come haul this chassis and motor away you cant say no.  Might need something off it one day. Course once you get home you realize you already have three sitting there.

Everytime I see an A chassis for sale I look at location 1st then price.  😁😁😁

• Like 2