1966 Toronado heater core replacement?

Welp my 66 Toro decided to throw a curveball at me and leak a bunch of coolant last Thursday.  It appears as if its coming from the heater core.  How hard is this to remove/replace and is there a vendor that you'd recommend for the core exchange?  BTW car is an A/C car.

20240819_171346.jpg

Edited by 60s GM Fan
Photo (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm assuming it's similar to my '67 Riviera, however, I haven't had to deal with that problem (yet).  I will look at my shop manual to see what it says about replacement procedure.  I'm guessing it will involve stripping-out much of what's behind the passenger side of the dashboard...

Maybe @JZRIV can offer some insight.

Do you have the 1966 factory Chassis Service Manual? If not, you need one. An original print copy, not a reprint or digital copy since those always lose detail. Toronado has its own section at the back of the manual.

Job isn't hateful since on an AC car it can all be done underhood. I don't remember having to take the hood off on my 69 though. You might have to sit in the engine bay to get at some of the case attaching screws.

Steps:

20240918_122248.jpg

Diagram showing the heater assembly, which can be removed separately without taking the whole assembly loose. C60 is Custom AC, C61 is Comfortron.

20240918_122336.jpg

I looked at my '67 Riviera shop manual and as Glenn says it looks like it can be replaced from the engine compartment side.  In fact, it looks like the A/C cars are actually easier (if you can believe that...) because the heater box for the A/C cars is split into two pieces (ref. below).

image.jpeg.c02fcd93a1828b6cf31fc31f2c46167c.jpeg

The heater core is in the half that is near the center of the firewall.  That section of the box can be removed once the mounting screws are removed.  Follow the procedure posted above.

The non-A/C heater box is all one piece, which is a PITA with the blower motor side buried in the fender cavity...

image.jpeg.e6b5d7491432b86af0b6007f537794ca.jpeg

• Like 1