A great BCA National Meet in Strongsville

My wife and I returned from Strongsville, OH and the BCA National Meet this week. We drove our 1969 Riviera from Fort Worth, TX to Strongsville, enjoyed the four days of the meet and then took a side trip to eastern Tennessee for family genealogy research and returned to Texas.  The BCA meet had 373 Buicks registered, over 800 folks attended, and lots of interaction among attendees.  I entered our Riviera in the 400 point judging since I had not had it judged in AACA or BCA before.  I was unable to attend the 2024 ROA meet in Lexington, KY due to a conflict but I did attend the 2022 ROA meet in Branson, MO where the car was a top three class winner.  I was very pleased that the car was awarded a Senior Gold award after the judging.  It was great to see old friends and make new ones at the BCA meet.

We travelled over 2900 miles in the Riv, used the A/C many days. I  got 13.5 - 14.4 miles per gallon, the lower number when I filled the tank with 89 octane instead of 93.  With 89 octane the car 'dieseled' when I turned it off. I was trying to save money since 93 octane was as high as $4.79 per gallon in several states but I learned my lesson and stayed with 93 after that experience.  I kept the speed to 60-65 mph as I did not want to stress the engine and mechanicals although they have all been re-built. With a speedometer that reads 8 mph slower than actual speed and no cruise control I was constantly keeping the needle at 55 - 63 MPH on the speedometer.  The windshield wipers got a good workout as we left Texas, through southwest corner of Arkansas, and Kentucky as hurricane Beryl showers followed us into Ohio.

All in all it was a great meet and good time in the Riviera.

IMG_E6942 - Copy_edited.jpg

IMG_E6935.JPG

DSC_9750.JPG

• Like 13

1 hour ago, chuckfmtexas said:

With 89 octane the car 'dieseled' when I turned it off.

Just leave it in Drive when you shut it off and then shift to Park. I like to run my Dynaflow idle a little high and it stops that dieseling.

• Thanks 3

Chuck, sorry I missed you in Strongsville.  I did, however, get a chance to see your '69 up close as I was parked next to you.  Beautiful car and certainly worthy of the Senior award - congratulations!  BTW, I like 'consolette' Rivieras and was glad to see you have one!  ;)

image.jpeg.5ae458f9478b902673314f6d166fa2bb.jpeg

DSC_9750.JPG.a46c67f84524448fae1cedc043c

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1