1928 526 Phaeton hood ornament/motometer

John Bloom

I bought this car from a family that it owned it for 50 years. This hood ornament was on the car when the family took possession of it. I’ve not seen another one quite like this. Is it definitely a Packard dealer option? Is it something aftermarket Produced in the 50s and 60s that people purchased and put on their cars? Can anybody shed some light on this style of hood ornament and its use on five series Packards? 

IMG_9421.jpeg

IMG_9422.jpeg

IMG_9423.jpeg

• Like 1

While I am certainly not an expert on the 526 models, even though we have a 526-309 Convertible Coupe, I think I am safe in saying that the motometer WAS an accessory but not the wings.

We have three motometers with different radiators, black, gold, and red. For several years i have been  trying to find information on the different colors. Were different colors used different years? Did the original owner have a choice?

I have never gotten an answer to my posts, here on AACA and also on the Packard sites.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/407831-significance-of-packard-motometer-colors/#comment-2619112

• Thanks 1

Hi John,

Agree with 37Packardman. I believe the Motometer is an authentic Packard/Dealer accessory. I think it is also available as a reproduction.  I have never seen that particular style wings, but it is clear that it was designed to fit the Packard radiator cap.  I wonder if it shows up in the Packard accessory catalog. (I no longer have one.) Absolutely beautiful car, by the way. Please post more pictures and a video when you get the chance.

Here are a couple of other add-on accessories to the Motometer.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 10.33.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 10.32.10 PM.png

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 37PackardMan said:

While I am certainly not an expert on the 526 models, even though we have a 526-309 Convertible Coupe, I think I am safe in saying that the motometer WAS an accessory but not the wings.

We have three motometers with different radiators, black, gold, and red. For several years i have been  trying to find information on the different colors. Were different colors used different years? Did the original owner have a choice?

I have never gotten an answer to my posts, here on AACA and also on the Packard sites.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/407831-significance-of-packard-motometer-colors/#comment-2619112

Bob, that opens a new question that I would be interested in as well. I think I may have an electronic copy of an accessory list that the packard dealers had. It was a large file and may have gotten deleted. Give me a day or two to try and retrieve it and see what I can learn. In the meantime maybe someone else might chime in with information. 

22 minutes ago, pmhowe said:

Hi John,

Agree with 37Packardman. I believe the Motometer is an authentic Packard/Dealer accessory. I think it is also available as a reproduction.  I have never seen that particular style wings, but it is clear that it was designed to fit the Packard radiator cap.  I wonder if it shows up in the Packard accessory catalog. (I no longer have one.) Absolutely beautiful car, by the way. Please post more pictures and a video when you get the chance.

Here are a couple of other add-on accessories to the Motometer.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 10.33.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 10.32.10 PM.png

Phil, I do have some videos of the car. Let me put them on YouTube and I will post them.

IMG_9101.jpeg.1127437238fdb09774ce5ad8bc869b3e.jpegIMG_9096.jpeg.91987efb1ca2f9da919e850deb71329f.jpegIMG_9340.jpeg.12fc24f8c2f88a7705aca410df3be3f0.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Phil, I do have some videos of the car. Let me put them on YouTube and I will post them.

IMG_9101.jpeg.1127437238fdb09774ce5ad8bc869b3e.jpegIMG_9096.jpeg.91987efb1ca2f9da919e850deb71329f.jpegIMG_9340.jpeg.12fc24f8c2f88a7705aca410df3be3f0.jpeg

John,

Those are both beautiful cars!

Kent

• Thanks 1

This is our  little 'Josephine' among the wildflowers in our lawn.

If you have access to an accessory catalog, please check to see if it lists my big fog light and my spot light. It is a rather unique spot light, it only points ahead and swivels to point to the motometer.

JosephineFlowers.jpg

20170204_130738.jpg

6 hours ago, 37PackardMan said:

This is our  little 'Josephine' among the wildflowers in our lawn.

If you have access to an accessory catalog, please check to see if it lists my big fog light and my spot light. It is a rather unique spot light, it only points ahead and swivels to point to the motometer.

JosephineFlowers.jpg

20170204_130738.jpg

Bob, Josephine Looks regal in that setting.  I'd love to hear more about your car.

I found that accessory catalog file.  It doesn't list your spotlight or big foglight.  I don't know if my copy has every page, so I can't be sure that they weren't offered.  It does show my winged radiator/motometer as a dealer option.  It doesn't shed any light on the color of the motometer.