1st Gen Heater Core Replacement (again)

hi friends,
The joys of 1st-gen heater core replacement have been covered here in past threads, and people either do it the traditional way (through the interior) or by cutting to enlarge the hole in the firewall and removing it from the engine side.

I'm doing mine and was tempted to do it the firewall way but ended up going the traditional route.  Now that I've got everything out, I can't see how the engine-side removal would have worked;  the band and bar that hold the heater core in its housing are secured with screws from the interior-side of the car.
How would these be removed from the engine side?  Am I missing something obvious?
thanks for any info.  It's not important, i'm just curious

Posted (edited)

"1st Gen Heater Core Replacement (again)"

Doing it for the 2nd time or the same topic again?

I did mine twice, 33 years apart. The 1st time from the inside. Then through the firewall side last summer.

1 hour ago, rivolution said:

I can't see how the engine-side removal would have worked;  the band and bar that hold the heater core in its housing are secured with screws from the interior-side of the car.

I was able to unscrew the top screw on the passenger side strap by reaching inside and turning the threads with a mini vice grip (blue arrow). Then I bent the strap out of the way to tilt the heater core out from behind the bail wire around the pipes on the drivers' side (last image). Once out, I removed the passenger side strap completely (lime arrows). With the re-core, installed in reverse of course but now no passenger side strap. Instead I threaded SS Safety Wire through the top screw hole and wrapped around the tank (blue arrow).

2nd last image with restored firewall and thick gasket

If the engine wasn't in the way, I could gotten by with less firewall butchering around the pipes (fuchsia arrows)

image.png.0b7608b325f67a6c03687427c2be3dcd.png

image.png.1d6c475e50e1e339efd37b5c246ce085.png

image.png.1c766b1987a1d6e84dd88ea7aea1d92b.png

HeaterCore_Extraction_4.JPG

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I cut the metal band and upon re installation of the core I tightly spliced the band with plumbers tape. ( copper metal tape with holes  pre drilled) Its been 4-5 years since repair so I have no leaks and warm air.

Not the model of neat looking installation, but it serves the purpose. The enclosure firewall piece looks normal. 
PS THE engine was removed for rebuilding ( NO PLUMBERS TAPE on the rebuild)

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

Thanks for the explanation, guys.  By "again", I meant both -- this topic has appeared several times on the forum, but also, I'm doing this for the 2nd time since I bought the car 22 years ago.🙄 

XframeFX, it didn't occur to me that you could reach into the left side (heater bypass) hole and loosen at least the top screw of the band.   That must have been really tight!

• 2 weeks later...