Carburetor Replacement with a Stromberg 03

Has anyone replaced, or is going to replace, their original carburetor with a Stromberg 03, preferably on a 1920's car? I plan on doing so on a 1925 Series 80 Pierce Arrow and would like to know how others did it. It is my wife's car, so I don't want to make any mistakes. Also, is there a reprint or a pdf of an instruction and/or adjustment manual available anywhere for a Stromberg 03? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Peter R, for the information. Very helpful, I appreciate your response. Sory for my delay in responding, we have had a health issue in our family.

2 hours ago, AVS619 said:

Thank you, Peter R, for the information. Very helpful, I appreciate your response. Sory for my delay in responding, we have had a health issue in our family.

The Series 80 cars can EASILY burn valves and melt pistons with the factory carburetors. I would not recommend changing out the factory unit. There is a Series 80 expert I can get you in touch with if you desire. PM me if you want his contact info. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, edinmass said:

The Series 80 cars can EASILY burn valves and melt pistons with the factory carburetors. I would not recommend changing out the factory unit. There is a Series 80 expert I can get you in touch with if you desire. PM me if you want his contact info. 

"EASILY?"  The same could be said of all Pierces through 1928 which had adjustable-from-drivers-seat main jets.  RTFM!  The Owner's Manual that is.  It won't start unless it's rich, just don't back off too far as the car warms up.

Signed, the owner of two S80s with >25,000 personally driven miles and no burnt valves or melted pistons.  (Now I won't let Ed drive my one remaining S80, and I'm sure he was just hankering for a behind-the-wheel experience (not).)

The O-3 in question removes the possibility because it does NOT have an adjustable main jet, and even has a choke plate! 

Edited by Grimy
added last sentence (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Yup……easily. When properly set up, they are fine. I have seen two cars melt themselves down…….by owners who had no business working on the cars. Any car serviced by people with absolutely not technical background is subject to major issues. My two cents…..keep them stock, and hey are fine. My main point was run the factory carb, they are easy to source.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yup……easily. When properly set up, they are fine. I have seen two cars melt themselves down…….by owners who had no business working on the cars. Any car serviced by people with absolutely not technical background is subject to major issues. My two cents…..keep them stock, and hey are fine. My main point was run the factory carb, they are easy to source.

Actually, Ed, the Stromberg O-3, used by Pierce as OEM on only the 1928 81, is a good installation on a S80 car to be driven by a non-technically-minded person because, other than choke for starting (usually the rich-lean cable is connected to the O-3 choke plate), there is no possible adjustment needed or even possible while underway.  It is the Factory Pierce-Stromberg adjustable main jet carburetor 1925-27 that can be problematic for anyone who does not read and heed the OM.