Car designed after classic kids’ toy

Seems to me that many new cars are designed after children's toys from 20 years back.  I'm thinking the Transformer toys were the impetuous.

• Like 2

When the last-generation Camaro appeared in 2009, and its advertising was tied into the Transformers movie franchise, I dismissed the car out of hand. Never been a Camaro fan to start with and tying it into that ridiculous movie went too far.

That generation Camaro was introduced at the 2009 Carlisle All-GM and I'm pretty sure I hurt some GM show staff feelings because I didn't hold back what I thought about the movie tie-in. Asked one of them if they were marketing the car to 8 year olds. The boy actually looked stunned when I said that.

I was kind compared to my Chevrolet buddy. He and his brothers are hardcore Chevy people, particularly Camaros. He told the whole Team Camaro show staff "if that ugly thing is the best you can do, maybe you need to get out of the car business".

I'm sure that stung on the heels of the 2008 government buyout.

Toys that look like cars are one thing. Cars that intentionally look like toys are another thing entirely. 

• Thanks 1