1947 Buick 320ci L8 - oil to the top of the head - what goes in this hole?

Okay, so I took the rocker cover off the engine the other day (after I acquired it because when I topped up the oil it just ran out of the rocker cover seam. When I took the cover off the oil supply to the top of the head looks like it is fed from the front on the right side (as if you were driving the car) and there is a threaded hole approx 3/8" in diameter just inside the cover; seems odd that it is threaded if nothing goes there. My question is should there be some type of oil distribution pipe/line that screws in this hole that feeds oil equally to all of the rockers? Photos would be much appreciated (sorry I didn't take any before I put the cover back on .. didn't think it was odd until later).

P.S. also posted question in TeamBuick

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply

Regards

Mick

michael.stumpf@bigpond.com

Here's a picture of the feed to the rocker shaft.  This is my '38 as it was when I received it.  There is a fitting missing that fits between the block and the line.  As a result, mine had a slow leak.  I was lucky that Leif (on this forum) had an extra one that he was able to send me.

image.jpeg.e3ae1d96e24ad1df7b1f83dea694c809.jpeg

Here's a picture of the fitting and the screen that goes into the hole:

image.jpeg.7e488045f6af6c28a6bb06b5b51d469b.jpeg

The tube screws into the fitting above and provides the mating surface to seal the tapered collar on the supply tube.  The fitting also has a smaller orifice than the ID of the supply tube in order to restrict the amount of oil that is supplied to the valve train.  Check that this fitting is present on your engine, as unrestricted oil flow will flood the area under the rocker cover could be a reason for oil leaking from the valve cover gasket.

image.jpeg.8cf470c19c0360dd8f880ab3d5591810.jpeg

image.jpeg.ec7bdaf78e5b6e881618d5c66099a3b4.jpeg

image.jpeg.f55b8ec1c01386a179cf1b7372110096.jpeg

Final (correct) configuration below - no leaks:

image.jpeg.cdd2a850ca52f86a0bd73870fc80a886.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...