Another tractor joins my antique vehicle stable

Under the hood of every antique car there lurks a tractor just waiting to escape.

Along with my 1923 Dodge Roadster, 1927 Willys Knight, 1951 Plymouth Cambridge, 1995 Ford F250 pickup, 1947 Cushman M-53 Airborne-civilian motor scooter and recently purchased 1929 Fargo Express Delivery, I keep a 1947 Ford 8N tractor and a 1941 Massey Ferguson brush hog.

I have taken the Fargo far enough along in its slow return to being reanimated that I am looking for another project to do this summer.

A huge part of my interest in old cars are their history and the level of technology when they were built. And, it is no surprise that a primary source of materials I use in my antique vehicle reanimation projects comes from Tractor Supply Company, rather than the local car parts store.

As I have said, working on these old vehicles, for me anyway, a great part of the hobby is working on them most of the time, and driving them some of the time.

So, my next project will be as much about driving it as working on it, and my old cars, what with registration, insurance and continuing maintenance is sort of like being a archeologist in Egypt and supporting a family in Missouri………

My sights are set on a 1957 Allis Chalmers tractor which is advertised as having “set” for several years but “should” be restorable to operational condition.

Wish me luck…….The first photos are  of my currently owned Ford 8N and the others are of the one I’m buying.IMG_2127.jpeg.c3a5f80d4a49229a5ffd6af6a0b7aa6f.jpeg

IMG_2187.png

IMG_2188.png

IMG_0239.jpeg

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 10

D series?🙂

Halifax County VA Heritage Festival is this coming weekend. A few Persian Orange tractors usually show up. You can see them, while all the green tractors kinda blend into the background!😛

I'm working the Sons of Confederate Veterans' information booth and Civil War-era cannon firing most of Saturday but maybe I'll get to look over the old tractors and machinery a little bit. Some new and different stuff usually comes out every year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JACK M said:

Looks like you will have a front-end loader.
I suspect you are a volunteer at the cemetery?

Hi JACK M………The cemetery was established in 1858 as a burial place for Masonic Brethren, their families and friends.

The land was bought by the lodge in 1858, the cemetery surveyed and laid out as 24’X24’  burial plots out by lodge members, who were professionals at the trade, and then sold to those in need .

Since that time the cemetery has been the resting place of those affiliated, in some way or another, with the lodge and a number of plots donated to others by the lodge.

There are no paid positions associated with the cemetery and the daily, as well as the twice yearly annual, cemetery maintenance and clean up is wholly performed by lodge members, their families and friends on a volunteer basis.

In my stead, I have a postage stamp sized yard at my home, and the cemetery is the sole excuse I have for keeping one, or more, antique tractors. It is a part of the hobby and using the tractor in the cemetery is equal in every way to a weekend drive in one of.my old cars.

The lodge has a fund, established, and sustained, for maintenance of the cemetery by the brethren, and a $300.00 per annum allowance has been set aside for costs needed to reimburse personal expenses, I.e., gas and repair parts, incurred by those performing the maintenance.

It is understood,  without further explanation, that any portion of this fund which may be allotted to reimburse me for gas or maintenance of my tractor is donated to the lodge Almoners fund for redistribution to the widows of deceased lodge members.

Further information regarding the cemetery can be viewed on the Findagrave website and entering Steilacoom Masonic Cemetery at Lakewood, Washington. My screen name on the site is “JLB”.

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Well, I suppose my future was written to preclude ownership of a old Allis Chalmers tractor.

Since the Facebook seller stopped communication immediately after I sent the text saying it would be a while before I could come to the island to pick up the tractor, but I would pay them for it as soon as they could meet me off the island, I can only presume it was a scam.

They furnished me a telephone number which went to a mail box which announced it “was full” or simply kept ringing with no answer.

Shortly after the seller affirmed my text message asking “am I buying your tractor” with a one word answer “yes”, the tractor was removed from Facebook marketing and the and changed to read “SOLD”.

I have provided the seller with my email and telephone number, but they have never contacted me to tell me where the tractor could be picked up, or a address where I could contact them.

I am without when it comes to explaining why anyone would go to so much effort to pull off a stupid scam like this. But,I can still see a bit of joy in believing they saw enough good in me that they chose another victim, or simply cancelled the ad because no such tractor ever existed.

Regardless, I need the time to finish up the reanimation of “Mite”, my new 1929 Fargo Express project so the tractor may fit into the category of being “one of the best prayers is that one which was never answered”.

Be careful, there are scammers who do prey on people who participate in our hobby too, and they too may want much needed attention or our personal information obtained only by phishing on Facebook.

Jack

• Like 2