International? Highwheeler Year?

TerryB

This was found in some newly discovered family photos.  I think it’s an IH but unsure of that plus the year is unknown. The gentleman is believed to be Mr Koch whose name is on the side of the truck.  He is believed to have been a potato farmer in the southern end of Schuylkill county PA.  Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

6B508537-DA9F-4E33-96CB-4335F0D2B347.jpeg

On 4/29/2024 at 4:53 PM, E_Johnson said:

Most definintely an IHC AW or MW.

I don't believe the straight-sided body is factory issue.

Thanks for the reply.  There was an IH dealer close to the town from what a little more detective work uncovered today.

If I recall correctly, the "MW" and "MA" models for International came out for the 1912 model year. The MA was a continuation of the earlier air cooled IHC "Auto Wagons", whereas the "MW" was the new water cooled version. At a quick glance, the two models looked very much alike with the air cooled version having a fake radiator in front of the small hood. The engine was actually under the body behind the driver's seat. The typical flare-sided factory body had lower sides than does this vehicle. However, IHC did also offer more commercial type bodies, I do not know if this might be one of those or an after-market body built for a specific purpose. This may actually be the factory flare sided body the the flare sides removed and replaced with an upper enclosure?

The new typical MW and MA models were largely unchanged through 1912 and 1913 model years. "Officially", for 1914, they stopped marketing them as "automobiles" designed for rural use as a crossover commercial and personal vehicle, and began marketing them as light trucks. Although the removeable rear seat was still offered as an option as a "Sunday-go-to-meeting" seat. The 1914 "truck" with the optional seat was basically the same as the 1913 Auto-Wagon.

By then, IHC was building more conventional trucks in larger sizes. For 1915, IHC made what amounted to the last production high wheel model automobiles, similar to this model sold as a light truck, with smaller size high wheels or more typical solid truck or pneumatic tires.

The fellow in the photo is standing exactly where nothing can be seen of the radiator. And the engine isn't showing underneath, so I cannot tell if it is a MA or MW.

The IHC Auto Wagons (sometimes also referred to as Motor-Wagons) are very popular with the one and two cylinder crowd of the HCCA and other Brass and Gas groups. 

The MW and MA models are usually the most common of the high wheel automobiles on one and two cylinder tours.

So common in automotive history, there are often exceptions to the rule! Who actually manufactured the last production high wheel automobile? Could be debated for days! A "Lincoln" automobile took over the Sears' design when Sears dropped the idea in 1912. They continued to build and market the "Lincoln" automobile in small numbers through 1915. And there were a few others.

The March-April 1963 issue of the "Antique Automobile" is a "Special High Wheel Issue". It gives a good overview of several of the high wheel automobiles built from Holsman's in 1902 through most known marques to 1912. Like all overviews, the article is short on details, however three pages are devoted to IHC. I like the issue so much I have a couple extra copies I keep out of the main AA bookshelves for ready reference.

I told the fella to move but he didn’t listen to me😀.  The man in the picture is wearing a small leather bag with a strap that supports the bag while he’s wearing it.  It’s visible on the left side of him in this photo. .These were known as huckster’s money bags in my home area and he would have been called a fruit and vegetable huckster.  My wife inherited has a bag like that from a great uncle who ran a similar style business.  The man in the photo is not her uncle unfortunately.  Thanks Wayne for the information you provided.