Intake manifold drain / check valve for Stromberg DX3/DD3 engines

Hello all,

Hoping I can reach the right person who can help me with a question about the 240 cu in straight eight in my DB.

I think I have had the wrong idea of how the intake manifold drain works.  I first thought was the check valve was built into the elbow fitting that connects to the intake manifold.  After further inspection, I believe there should be some sort of either steel or aluminum ball that is installed in the pipe thread 'port' before the fitting to threaded on.  I believe this is correct because in the 'back' of the port, there is a small hole drilled into the manifold.  My thought now is the ball, once the engine is started, is drawn into the rear of the port and seals off this small drilled hole.  Once the engine is 'off' the ball is free to fall from the port and allow any liquid gas to flow out of the drain tube instead of pooling in the manifold.  The ball just has to be big enough not to fall out of the fitting and down the tube.

Can anyone verify this is the correct theory of operation?  Would anyone know the correct size of ball?  Mine is currently missing and I thought the check valve was built into the fitting, which I now believe is wrong.

I am thinking about replacing the DX3, so this check ball is probably a moot point, however, I am determined to find out how this system was meant to work. 

Thank you

image.jpeg.dbb6a9d2b76907c11f56446ef2f02365.jpegIMG_5325.jpeg.d4ea5722bbaa5709582d16d261cc21d4.jpeg

Here's a photo of the tube end of the original manifold drain fitting from my '32 Dodge DK 8. As you can see, the ball check is built into the fitting. The knob on the side of the fitting is the heat valve spring anchor. Similar fittings were used in the 6 cylinder cars at least to '39, as my '39 D11 has one. 

IMG_20231129_101935335.jpg