Auto races 1920

What a wonderful photo! Only one of those five racing cars is clearly a model T Ford. Although either 09 or 19 could maybe be a model T under all the changes.

Also interesting to notice that two of the five are racing on clearly wooden spoke wheels! I say it often enough, but a lot of people today still do not believe they actually did that back in those days! (Wooden spoke wheels are a lot stronger than most people think they are!)

The two cars with what appear to be disc  wheels are likely also running on wood, hidden between two sheet steel discs. If you look closely, numbers 09 and 19 on the inside of the left front wheel, you can see a hole to reach through to the valve stem in order to add air pressure. A common detail on double sided disc covers for wooden spoke wheels.

Great photo, thank you.

Alcyon Park is in pitman NJ near me. It was a popular track that closed in the 60s I think. Many young lads developed an affinity for racing there and carried it all through their life till now. there is a lot of memorabilia that turns up and the old racers still have reunions. There's a lake next to the part that was extremely polluted,a massive superfund site. It took millions to clean it up and all the polluters were long gone

• Like 1