55 Wasp Carter WAI-2009 Metering Rod

supercub

The metering rod on my carb is attached to a linkage that has a spring plunger on it that goes into the float bowl. The rod is normally held upward by the spring pressure. The rod should  Be down into the jet at lower speeds, does vacuum pull the plunger down? The pin on the linkage would pull it up if it wasnt held up by the spring. The 2nd picture shows the rod control tab above the linkage pin.

64BE326C-64DB-43B7-B196-75E595028F07.jpeg

1D3C838A-BC1B-42F3-A4FF-9231FCD70D87.jpeg

Edited by supercub (see edit history)

The metal link to which the metering rod is attached protrudes through a hole in the bowl cover.

At the bottom of the link there is a hole, to which is attached a vacuum piston.

Under the piston is a tensioned spring.

When the engine is off, the spring holds the metering rod in the up position.

When the engine starts, vacuum overcomes the spring tension and pulls the metering rod down.

The metering rod is "stepped" allowing different calibrations for different values of engine vacuum.

The metal tab you mention is an "override" in case the vacuum piston sticks (rare) or the spring breaks (even rarer).

As the spring is tensioned, and loses its tension over time, it should ALWAYS be replaced when rebuilding the carburetor. The correct springs are contained in the better rebuilding kits.

A weak spring will cause the engine to run lean, once it is on the main metering circuit.

Jon

• Like 1

I bench tested my carburetor with a small gas tank to feed it. It doesnt leak while sitting flat but if I tilt it up 15 degrees as if the car was going uphill, gas flows out of the throat accelerator tube nozzle. I ultrasonic cleaned all of the parts and assembled with new float valve assembly, pump plunger and gaskets. I set the float height according to the kit instructions. The Delta kit has a flat rubber float valve seal as opposed to a pointed float needle.

The accelerator pump works. I found info on the older Carter W1 carbs and it stated that the accelerator had an overbleed feature that would allow some extra fuel to flow after acceleration.

Perhaps I should check the fuel level? Carbking do you know what the level should be? Or have any ideas why the fuel would flow out of the accelerator nozzle at a slight incline? 

Carter does not specify the fuel level, only the float setting.

The float setting should be 1/2 inch if 2009s, or 7/16 inch if 2009sa.

A possible issue might be the diameter of the fuel valve seat orifice, which should not exceed 0.081 inch. Have seen many kits where a common fuel valve with too large an orifice is used, thus causing the bowl fuel level to be too high, even when the float is set correctly.

Fuel pressure can also be an issue; especially if a new non-USA fuel pump has been installed.

Jon

Posted (edited)

My carb is a WAI-2009-SA. I made a 7/16 gage. The service manual states to measure bowl cover and top of float but the WAI diagram shows measuring from the wall on the cover to the upper float solder seam. Which is correct?

Edited by supercub (see edit history)

I reset the float and gas still comes out of the accelerator tube when the carb is tilted slightly. I think the flat sealing float valve that came with the kit is a bad idea. The fuel level must be way too high. I will replace it with a regular taper point needle float valve. Do you have any brand recommendations?