1926 Essex Coach Engine Temperature

Bird Dog

Hi,

I'm trying to assess the thermo syphon cooling system in my new to me 1926 Essex Coach.  According to the Moto Meter it's within the acceptable range, although I haven't checked the accuracy of the Moto Meter.  I took the car on a short drive this afternoon in upper 60s ambient temperature.  As soon as I returned I checked the temp at the top of the radiator with my heat sensor and was getting about 220 degrees  At the bottom, it was in the low 140s.  I haven't had any boil over or other issues.  Please let me know hat you think.

Thanks,

Ed

Years ago I had a 1928 Hudson. I'm guessing it is very similar to your Essex. It had a Motometer which always read in the operating zone when the engine was totally warmed up. I assumed that the temperature of the coolant was always hotter than what the Motometer indicated, as the coolant level was always lower than the Motometer probe. However, the car never boiled over, and I operated under the belief that the engine temperature was just where it should be.

If I saw 220 F on the block (and not on an exhaust manifold) I would look  for a plugged or partially plugged water passage.

With a clean engine without clogged water passage, my rule of thumb is that, if it doesn’t boil over or belch large quantities of coolant, it is functioning properly. I’ll be interested to read others’ experience.

• Like 1

Hi pmhowe,

The highest reading  I got on the block was around 180-190.  My Motometer probe is slightly in the coolant.  I'll probably drain it, do a good flush and watch it.  Thanks for the response!

Ed

If you feel you have an issue with cooling the following may be helpful.

My experience with Essex engines is the block cooling system always needs cleaning......!

With the thermo syphon it seems the sediment is thicker ( greater ) in the front of engine than near rear.

I prefer to remove cyl head and clear all water passages to head from block as well a head too.  Easier to use probes to loosen and chisel remnants inside water  jacket.

Your engine has small Welsh plugs on drivers' side to gain access.  But remove mid engine water inlet bracket to aid  removal of deposits.   

Enjoy your Essex