Top pull down assembly

CWigleyjr

Hello all,

I recently rebuilt the top pull down motor, gears & housing. All went very well and the pull down was working great. The next day my battery was dead. After disconnecting the wiring to the pull down motor, all is fine.

somewhere I suspect I have a ground with that pull down motor but I’ll be darn if I can find it. Any suggestions, anyone experience this issue ?
please advise and thank you.

chet

What make/model is the subject car?  From your description, it sounds to me like the pull-down motor isn't turning off once the top is seated.  There must be an adjustment somewhere in the mechanism to ensure that the limit switch (inside the motor assembly?) opens when the top is tight against the header.

1990. Chrysler TC. 
I believe there’s a relay or limit switch but not sure if it’s faulty or I did something wrong.

thanks for the reply.

My GUESS is there may be a limit switch built into the motor that works like the 'park' switch on a windshield wiper motor.  IF that's the case, then the relative orientation of the gears that you replaced might matter.  You might need to open it up again and look carefully for a key or tab on one of the gears that opens an internal switch when the pull-down is in the CLOSED position.

An old trick for finding a current draw is to disconnect the battery ground and connect it thru a test light. If the light glows even faintly you have a current draw. Then you go around disconnecting things, pulling fuses, jiggling wires etc until the light goes out and there is your draw. Be sure everything is turned off such as dome lights etc.

• Like 2

My assumption based on the information provided, is that the suspected battery drain didn't exist before the top pull-down motor was repaired.