1933 Dodge Plymouth Windshield ID Confirmation.

DCarter

Looking for someone who knows their '30s Mopars a little better than I do to confirm (or not) that this is indeed a 1933 Dodge/Plymouth windshield, and if so,  which body type, as I've read that coupe and sedan are different heights.  

Thanks! 

20240331_201327.jpg

20240331_201341.jpg

20240331_201543.jpg

20240331_201618.jpg

Does look like a 33 Plymouth or Dodge sedan windshield frame.  Not 34 because those had a center, roll-out mechanism.  Also looks like a sedan because the coupes are not that high.  For example, on a 34 Plymouth, the sedan is 11 3/4" high at the center, while a coupe (measured on my 34 Dodge coupe) is only 10 3/4" high at the center.  My 34 Dodge panel, which should be the same as a 33 sedan, measures about 11 3/4" to 12" high at the center (hard to get at it... .)  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Does look like a 33 Plymouth or Dodge sedan windshield frame.  Not 34 because those had a center, roll-out mechanism.  Also looks like a sedan because the coupes are not that high.  For example, on a 34 Plymouth, the sedan is 11 3/4" high at the center, while a coupe (measured on my 34 Dodge coupe) is only 10 3/4" high at the center.  My 34 Dodge panel, which should be the same as a 33 sedan, measures about 11 3/4" to 12" high at the center (hard to get at it... .)  Hope this helps.

Perfect,  thanks Scott!  This one is just about 11-3/4" at the center. So the '34 commercial vehicles were the same as '33 sedan?  

Like a lot of other things, it depends.  The commercial sedan (what a lot of folks call a sedan delivery) has basically the same front sheet metal in 34 as it had in 33 and as the regular 33 sedans.  Same with the pickups, what Dodge called an 'express'.  Note, however, that the doors on the express were slightly different than the sedan and coupe door in that the upper rear corner of the door is rounded off while the non-commercial doors were squared off.  On the non-commercial models, while the cars look very similar, there are huge, subtle differences between the 33s and the 34s, including the wheelbase (and, therefore, front fender length), slope of the front windshield and shape/slope of the front of the front doors, etc. 

18 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Like a lot of other things, it depends.  The commercial sedan (what a lot of folks call a sedan delivery) has basically the same front sheet metal in 34 as it had in 33 and as the regular 33 sedans.  Same with the pickups, what Dodge called an 'express'.  Note, however, that the doors on the express were slightly different than the sedan and coupe door in that the upper rear corner of the door is rounded off while the non-commercial doors were squared off.  On the non-commercial models, while the cars look very similar, there are huge, subtle differences between the 33s and the 34s, including the wheelbase (and, therefore, front fender length), slope of the front windshield and shape/slope of the front of the front doors, etc. 

Thanks for the info! 

11 hours ago, dep5 said:

This fits 1934 Plymouth PG series sedan

Does the '34 PG not have the center regulator? 

I believe that is an exception.  The PG was released as a 'cheapo' 34 Plymouth.  It had no glove box in the dash, no chrome headlights and also no independent front suspension (using instead a beam axle).  I will look a little further but the attached purports to be a PG coupe and the swing out side windshield brackets can be seen in the photo.  There were only coupes and 2-door sedans made (with a handful, I believe about 20) four-door sedans.

1934_Plymouth_PG_Coupe.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

I believe that is an exception.  The PG was released as a 'cheapo' 34 Plymouth.  It had no glove box in the dash, no chrome headlights and also no independent front suspension (using instead a beam axle).  I will look a little further but the attached purports to be a PG coupe and the swing out side windshield brackets can be seen in the photo.  There were only coupes and 2-door sedans made (with a handful, I believe about 20) four-door sedans.

1934_Plymouth_PG_Coupe.jpg

Thanks again for the great info! 

Thanks to dep5 for pointing out this exception.  Neither of my two 'bibles' on 34 Plymouths, the March-April 1988 Plymouth Bulletin from the Plymouth Owners Club (at that point the '4&6 Cylinder Owners Club') nor the November 1976 WPC News, both of which are dedicated to the 1934 Plymouth, while pointing out the other distinctions of the PG models, point this out.  Having found that picture (submitted in my prior post) of a coupe with the 'swing out' style windshield, I went to my various parts books. The September 1934 Plymouth Parts Manual lists the 'crank out' style windshield parts only as PE or PF, and there is a separate listing for the PG frame.  In addition, there is a separate section of exclusively PG windshield parts and this includes the swing arms seen in the photo and on your frame as part #450196.  Interestingly, all of the parts in this section are specifically listed as "parts not previously used on Plymouth cars."  HOWEVER, when you check the Plymouth Master Parts List "for all Models Prior to 1934", published in 1934, you find that 450196 is the part number for the windshield swing arms for the PC and PD models, i.e., 1933.  In addition, the later Plymouth Master Parts List for 1929-1939 lists the 450196 arm as fitting PC, PD and PG models.  Learn something every day... .  SMB

• Like 3