1924 Lincoln L head gasket extra holes

Carlton

The new head gaskets of my 1924 Lincoln had 3 water pass holes blanked and I did the holes because they are present in the head and block and also in the old gasket ( hand made in the old gasket ). A friend who owns the same car send me a picture of his car engine ( last picture ) with the gasket without the extra holes opened.  He said that the holes probably are for remove the sand when casting, but the gaskets acting as a plug for those holes. Any advice regarding this matter. Any problem if I leave them open ? Thanks 

5E0B82B8-F345-4C7D-9401-113B1B77559B.jpeg

C627F6FB-86C2-4F31-B6CB-CFFDEADA1E85.jpeg

392D9BE0-2CBB-4352-B816-5FF24ED2A965.jpeg

DD07113B-4C23-44B8-807A-894EC3181A26.jpeg

Juat looking at the engine I don't see a problem with leaving them open. Otherwise you only have the small holes front and back on that side.   If the gaskets came from Olsons you could ask them why they are that way. Maybe they know. 

• Like 2

I can't speak to the Model L specifically, but it is common for engines to try to force more water to the back with different or fewer holes in front to prevent boiling. "Center" on this engine could be equivalent to "front" if your water pump(s?) and water outlets are at the center, in other words halfway back. Are they?

I too would ask Olsons.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1