What is the make, model, and year of the automobile in this photo?

This is a cropped image from a real photograph postcard (RPPC) in my collection. There is no identifying information on the back of the postcard. The RPPC came with two others from Portland, Oregon. The automobile has an Oregon license plate, which based on the vertical "ORE" on the left side of the plate, dates from circa 1911 to 1919. Two numbers are visible: "60". I would really appreciate any additional information about the make, model, and year of this automobile, in hopes that I can identify the woman at the steering wheel and perhaps the location where the photograph was taken. Thank you in advance!

RPPC_OR_Unidentified Automobile - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Not many cars had the rear door open that way, along with the ten spoke front wheels, and the combination of wheel bolts this car has. 

I reckon 1911 Chalmers Model M 30hp.

Thanks to Varun for posting the info page a few months ago.

11 Chalmers Model M info 0124.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, architecturalhistorian said:

I would really appreciate any additional information about the make, model, and year of this automobile, in hopes that I can identify the woman at the steering wheel and perhaps the location where the photograph was taken

I believe the Oregon registration records are available through Ancestry.com.  A Chalmers with plate #60x  or 60xx narrows it down a lot.  Could it be there's a slight edge of the third digit showing - a 4 ?  Perhaps it is 604.

RPPC_OR_UnidentifiedAutomobile-Copy.jpg.df38a45bafea0a4ae818f1a3858f09ac.jpg.eeb1849accaea53ea5347acb69f30571.jpg

@PFindlay Thank you very much for the reminder of using that particular reference source. I've had limited success with this source in the past, but this time, I think I hit pay dirt.

Using the Oregon vehicle registration records, I was able to identify license number 6016, issued in 1913 to the Estate of Jacob Kamm, for a Chalmers automobile, serial number 3022. This was the only year that this license number was associated with a Chalmers vehicle. The Chalmers with serial number 3022 remained with the Kamm family until 1916, when it disappears from the records.

It definitely makes sense that this Chalmers was associated with the Kamm family, since there were two other postcards of the Kamm family's Portland residence that came with this particular postcard. Based on my research, the woman at the steering wheel is most likely Caroline Augusta Kamm (1884-1952). She licensed the same car under her name until 1916, when it disappears from the records.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1