1959 Morris Minor 1000 Convertible Brake Refurbish.

Dandy Dave

Been going though the wife's 59 Morris Minor and found a problem with the new reproduction wheel cylinders. Figured I would post it here as others may have run into this and have not known how to correct it. The castings have a little extra meat on them that prevents the shoes from centering in the drums like they should. I am replacing them because the right side the cylinders were seized. Also the old shoes had some chunks out of them. Cleaned and packed the wheel bearings while I was at it. The old wheel seals were junk so I replaced them. Here's the National Seal part number for those. They fit and work perfect.  471192. Second photo is of the original and new wheel cylinder. These have two singles on each side. Second and third photo shows the original Wheel cylinder problem area on the old wheel cylinder with the new cylinder in the back ground of photo 2. More to come. 

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6702.JPG

Posted (edited)

Here's the area I had to grind away to give the new shoes enough clearance to fit and work correctly. The edge on the tip is just enough to hold the shoes out too far and not have them center correctly. Before and after photos. Hope this info may help others out in the future. Like my old Buddy Brian use to say. "Repro parts from the land of nearly right."

Morris Minor Wheel Cylinder 1.JPG

IMG_6706.JPG

IMG_6707.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

They are all made offshore and controlled by an offshore company and distributed by by the great Morse Fish Monger who is also under their control now. The reason for defective British sport car parts. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here it is jacked up. Just finished replacing all the brake lines with Nickel Copper line. Replaced all the brake hoses also. The lines that run to the master cylinder are a little tight to deal with but I got them replaced. I'll take some photos later of what I'm talking about.

IMG_6699.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks Dave!  Friend of mine is a big Brit car fan and owns several including I believe 2 Morris Minors, maybe more by now. Also has TR-3, TR-4 and more.  I almost bought a TR-3 years ago in the same color as your Morris.  I still regret not getting it.

PS- If you look around in your local stores that sell new Matchbox toys they recently came out with a Morris Minor. I’ve seen it on line but not in my local stores yet.

• Like 1