1954 76R rear axle clunk

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but a search has been fruitless. 

My '54 76R has a considerable amount of play in the rear axle, resulting in a pronounced clunk and noticeable jerk when shifting into reverse.  My understanding is that this condition is common in Buicks of this vintage, but in my car the play seems extreme: nearly 1 1/2" of back-and-forth travel at the jacked-up tire shoulder with the gear selector in Park and the opposite tire on the floor.

Not only am I concerned about a possible failure, but I'm wondering if the slop could likely be attributable to an issue somewhere in the torque tube rather than in the differential itself.  Fortunately, I was able to obtain an entire rear axle/torque-tube assembly out of another car that appears to be tighter.  But I'm wondering if it's OK to be driving my car until I can get that assembly evaluated, rehabilitated if necessary, and installed.

Thanks!

~ Charlie Manes

I think you need to find more closely where in the drive train the play actually is. It is one U-joint inside the torque ball at the rear end of the transmission, which normally save well, unless the fixing bolt of the u-joint have clogged the oil passage and no longer lubricate the u-joint. Jack it up from the floor, put in park and turn wheels back and forth and try to observe where the play is. It can be poor differential bearings. You have to take off the rear cover to inspect, while turning wheels back and forth. Just an idea….

• Like 1