1989 16v 5sp turns over, wont start

Sent my new to me 16v, car had not been started since 2009 (14 years), over to my mechanic to get running and replace the head gasket.  I started the car when I looked at it by spraying carb cleaner into the intake.  Started right up and I ran it for about 8 seconds.  Months later car went to my mechanic who flushed the gas tank, replaced the fuel pump, blew out the lines. put in new gas.  Tank looked fine.

Car will turn over fine and chuging along but will not start.  There is 55 psi fuel pressure.  He checked codes and said he tried to reset them.  Some went away and some didnt.  He didnt tell me the codes that didnt reset.

The new fuel pump will only run if on a jumper wire, does not run on its own.  My mechanic said the fuel pressure regulator is not returning fuel to the tank and floods the engine.  He saw fuel in the cylinders.

When checking the spark he said it looked a little low. 

Have not done a compression test yet.

Thanks for your help.

Wild Bill

41 minutes ago, wild bill said:

My mechanic said the fuel pressure regulator is not returning fuel to the tank and floods the engine.  He saw fuel in the cylinders.

Ask him to disconnect the return line fitting from the regulator and see if fuel comes out. If it DOESN'T come out the regulator is the problem. If fuel does come out of the regulator there must be a blockage in the return line going to the tank.

Thanks Ronnie, I just mentioned that to him. 

Right now its a snow day.  We just had a foot of snow and will get snow for the next 12 hours.

Question, The new fuel pump isnt getting power, works with a jumper wire thou.  Anyone know where the fuel pump power comes from?  I havent checked the manual yet.

Found out the fuel pump gets power from the ASD, automatic shut down, relay.

Concerning the fuel return line.  The fuel pressure stays at 55 psi.  Doesnt that mean the return fuel line is okay?