Dodge Brothers 6V v 12V internals

I have two 1926 DB engines. Are there differences on the internal components between a 6V and 12V. My 6V is at the machine shop but the 12 volt engine looks like it may have a lot of relatively recent parts replaced. Valves, lifters, cam shaft to be specific. Crank looks great but mine has already been reground. Main bearing caps have the same casting numbers as my 6V.

Thanks

Paul

The latter part of 1926 was when the change was made from a 12 volt single unit starter/generator to separate 6 volt generator and starter.

The 12V single unit starter/generator was chain driven from the front end of the crankshaft.  The two unit 6V starter drove the flywheel, and the generator drove off the same shaft that drives the distributor.  The distributor position is also different between the two versions.

There are significant external differences in the blocks to accommodate the different placements, and I'm not sure what the differences in the two versions of the cranks might be.  I haven't looked at the specs, but I'd suspect that internals like bearings, pistons, valves, cam, etc. are the same.

Do you have a copy of the Mechanics Information Manual?  It's readily available on ebay, and I think Myers Early Dodge has copies as well.  There are photos of the two different configurations.

Keith

• Like 3