6" screen radio/gps/backup camera

wufibug

Looking at the area occupied by the radio and the climate controls, I'm wondering about eliminating the space above, below and between the climate controls and radio, and putting the climate below the radio. Hoping that will free up enough room for a unit with a 6" diagonal screen. Installed one in my 05 F150 and it's a great improvement. I've changed out radios in my Reatta before but do not remember the layout behind that area.  If anyone has been in there recently, I'd certainly appreciate your comments/ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The sophistication and features of these units has changed markedly in the 3 years since this topic was introduced.

I am looking at the 1 din Power Acoustik 7" Flip Out Touchscreen Am/fm/dvd/usb/bt With Navigation PDN721HB because it has CD player, bluetooth, gps, and input for backup camera onboard. I prefer the smaller flip out screen for aesthetic and security reasons. The quality will not be as good as the Jensen, but I will replace the front speakers and see if there is a way to add rear speakers in the convertible. Power Acoustik 7" Flip Out Touchscreen Am/fm/dvd/usb/bt With Navigation PDN721HB - Picture 1 of 5

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wufibug said:

I am looking at the 1 din Power Acoustik 7" Flip Out Touchscreen

I like the looks of that radio but seeing very few controls on the face of the radio. I assume you would have to use the remote to operate most of the functions on it. If that is the case, I don't like that about it.

I like things to be simple that need to be operated going down the road. I still like knobs and easy to find push buttons instead of menus that you have to look at to operate. That is the reason I like the simple radio in my 2001 GMC pickup truck better than the touchscreen radio in my Chevy Equinox.

• Like 1

I agree that knobs are preferable to both touchscreens and remotes, both of which require attention to be diverted from driving.  This unit has both. The touchscreen is, at least far better than the remote.

• Like 1