Straight 8 oiling

Jyrki

I just opened up my 46 Roadie 320, and found tons of "gunk" inside. I also discovered this engine has no oil filter at all!<BR>Since the 1942 shop manual shows there was one, I assume that the filter can of my 46 was removed for some reason. The port from the main oil galley runs straight back to the port near the distributor shaft. <BR>Could someone confirm if there should be an oil filter on 1946 models?<BR>Also, what is the best method of removing all the gunk from the parts? I've heard that industrial washing machines won't remove this gunk.I've also heard some people cut a 50 gallon barrel in half, and made up an alkaline bath and a fire under it. <BR>Any help appreciated!<BR>Jyrki

When I got my '47 Super it had no Oil Filter on it either. I quicly found an used one and added it to the car.<BR>As far as the gunk goes, can you use engine cleaner ? Or how about a pressure washer ? I don't know what you have access to. I dont think I would use a fire though.<BR>If you are getting you block machined can the machine shop boil the block for you ? That might be your safest bet.<BR>Bill

The straight 8 filter only filtered the oil going to the rocker arms. It was a poor system at best. The filters of today are full flow and the early ones were almost worthless. you will be much better off changing oil more often and not worrying about the filter. I would try cleaning the parts insolvent available at most parts stores.

Thanks for the info. I quess the filter would be most needed during the initial runs of a fresh engine, to remove all metal shavings and foreign particles. I agree that a seasoned engine would only need frequent oil changes. <BR>The machine shop where I'm taking my block, says their washing machine won't remove the deposits, unless most of it has been mechanically scraped first.

Hi,<P>I've found that alot of the citrus degreasers (from Home Depot for exammple) do great. Additionally, for a more expensive alternative, PB Blaster Citrus cleaner from Meiers, KMart, or any of the chain auto stores, do a real good job too. Good Luck.