72 Cutlass 350 == Which Holley Carb to use?

Guest Dave Wyatt

A fresh Quadrajet is the best choice for your 350 Olds. Leave the Holleys for the chevy guys who don't know what they're doing. If your Quadrajet is correct or close to it for your car, it will provide you with many miles of great performance and good mileage. Have someone who is good go through it and set it up for you.

I agree about Holley carbs. Simple, easy to tune but they have their fair share of problems. Either pick up a good Quad, they're out there and not all that expensive or check into what Edelbrock has as a replacement. I'm using an Edelbrock Performer carb with electric chock. It's the square bore type similar to the old Carters. I have a 600 CFM on a 455 and it gives great power and street-ability. I've been real pleased with it. They run around $260.00 and are easy to install. A 500 CFM should do the trick for your 350.

That all goes back to people not understanding QuadraJets. They're a fine carb and no more complex than an AFB or Holley, there just isn't much aftermarket tuning support for them.

Get a competent carb guy to go thru yours, or try an Edelbrock or Holley OEM-style replacement Q-Jet. They're only made in Chevy style side fuel inlet, but you can get a repop 66-7 Olds fuel line that will adapt it to your car.

You also need to remember that Oldsmobiles like to run a bit lean, and a Holley certainly isn't going to allow for that. Stick with a QuadraJet. You won't regret it. And a 450 cfm carb is WAAAAY too small for a 350. QuadraJets were rated for 735 cfm and some early 70s big-block cars had 800 cfm versions.

The Rochester 4GC was the original GM four-barrel carb, used on Olds and Caddy from 1952-65. Chevy used them on normal performance V8 engines, but Buick and especially Pontiac stayed away from them and used Carter AFBs. QuadraJets came online in 1966 and after a first year run of trouble, they settled out and became a very fine carb.

A 4GC running right is nice. One that ain't running right is truly a POS. Even a wrong gasket in one will make it do hateful things.