17 Stude Plugs

• 2 weeks later...

studebaker cars were champion plug equipped. they were the take apart variety in this era. 17 I worked on had 3/4 pipe thread plugs. they are available modern from napa. take aparts are available from snyder antiques as they were common to model t fords as well

• Like 1

From catalog believed to be about 1916 or 17. About this time, Champion seems to be switching to solid plugs ( can't take them apart ), both being made as the 1915 Motor Age ad shows. No number on the porcelain. 

image.jpeg

1915Champion.jpg

Edited by 15sd
addition (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I see it's a Canadian car! The catalog I got the plug photo from was No. 51 Lewis Bros. Montreal Automobile Supplies. It appears to cover 1914 to 1918 car models and the mail order form has 191_ for a date so 1919 at the latest. The 1915 ad is already showing the same plug. Take-apart Champion plugs were made long after this date but perhaps the manufacturers preferred the solid plug. Cheaper? Not as easy to clean so more likely to just be replaced. ( more sales for the dealer )

Regardless, any 1/2 inch pipe thread regular length plug will do.   

Lewis Bros. (2).jpg

• 3 months later...

IMG_5086.jpg.ae5f8982872ba07dec10b2eae0297193.jpgThis is what I've come up with. Now I just have to find an engine to put them in. When Studebaker built wagons, where did the horse go?? In behind or in front? 

• Like 1

Rare find! I'm only familiar with the SD engine. If the engine you get has no plugs, put a plug in and turn it over slowly by hand just to make sure there's clearance. A friend here bought a car with one plug longer than the rest. It bent the valve but luckily was able to be straightened and ran fine after the proper length plug was used.  

• Like 1