1922 engine

Would any one have or know where to go to find varias  engine parts for light 6 1922 Studebaker. Or how many parts are the same from different  years.  Just seeing if I could ever find any missing parts if I bought a studebaker with the engine in a box?   Thanks

On 1/20/2024 at 12:26 PM, rjp said:

Would any one have or know where to go to find varias  engine parts for light 6 1922 Studebaker. Or how many parts are the same from different  years.  Just seeing if I could ever find any missing parts if I bought a studebaker with the engine in a box?   Thanks

There were various differences in Light Six engines 1920 -1924. The most significant are:

• The large aluminum water pump, oil pump and distributor support bracket had two designs depending if the oil fill was on the fan support or near the distributor (~1922 change)
  • Two electrical systems used for all years - Wagner or Remy (starter, generator, coil, distributor, condenser) Although you can mix between them, originally they were all from one of the two companies
  • Connecting rod, piston pin diameters and pistons had some changes depending on years.
  • There were two different valves used 1920-1922 vs 1923-1924
  • 1920-mid 1923 used the aluminum head with a Stromberg OS-1 carb on the right side of the engine. Later 1923 - 1924 went to the cast iron head and OE-1 carb on the left side. The control rods and engine blocks are also different between these two designs.
  • The Type 45 timing chain and sprockets were introduced in 1923. The crank sprocket, cam sprocket, accessory drive sprocket, chain, distributor drive gear and distributor driven gear were all changed and cannot be intermixed with the 1920-1922 parts

Occasionally you come across some of the parts on eBay or someone may have a spare this or that but they are not readily available. Sometimes its easier to buy a parts car. Oh, and getting the aluminum head off the 26 engine block studs on the earlier cars often results in a lot of frustration and no positive outcome. Egge can make you new pistons, pins, valves, etc. They are making pistons and valves for my car right now.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1