Gascolator Filter

kbeach

I have a gascolator that is missing the cage for the filter. I understand that there is a Wix filter that can be used by placing a spring at the bottom to keep it in place. Does anyone know the Wix or NAPA number of this filter?

Edited by kbeach (see edit history)

3 hours ago, kbeach said:

I have a gascolator that is missing the cage for the filter. I understand that there is a Wix filter that can be used by placing a spring at the bottom to keep it in place. Does anyone know the Wix or NAPA number of this filter?

I think it would be a big help to narrow down to what make/model/engine you need this for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gascolator#:~:text=A gascolator%2C also known as,of an aircraft's fuel system.

Also, isn't gasolator an aircraft term?

aka standard glass bowl fuel filter like on a Ford 8N.😁

Or many other makes, like Buick.

Carter filters had a ceramic element on some models. Most are pleated paper filters.

What is colating? Oh, collating, putting in order. I would rather filter gasoline than put it in order. Amazing how advertisers make up terms.🤣

Is there a gasket area inside that filter for a replaceable element to seal against? If so, what is the diameter?

The center outlet hole for filter is 5/8" OD. The glass bowl is 2 5/8" OD, 2" ID and 2 9/16" deep. The original filter was a wire basket covered by chamois leather which is long gone on this one.20240120_124245.jpg.6bae4055bc0ad7e5246ec797a67b6ecc.jpgBottom side

20240120_124405.jpg.c4b6508c00e5bd68444e8fcd360eab64.jpgTop side

This is a Model S which I believe stands for short arm that fits on the small vacuum tanks.

Thanks @Mark Gregush. I just tried to order a Model A filter with a spring for the bottom spring but it seems like everyone is "out of stock". Using a screen that covers the entire top does not work as it covers the gas inlet line trapping any dirt on top of the screen not allowing it to reach the sediment bowel.

You are right!   I've seen the design of the screen at the top, but on those the gas INLET was in the center, so the screen was over the outlet. Yours is the opposite design. 😉

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

You are right!   I've seen the design of the screen at the top, but on those the gas INLET was in the center, so the screen was over the outlet. Yours is the opposite design. 😉

Just went out and looked. My fuel inlet is in the center. It is Model S.

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

Thanks to information provided by @Mark Gregush, I was able to purchase a glass sediment bowl filter for the 1930 - 31 Ford Model A from C W Moss Ford Parts. Made two minor modifications, first, enlarged the outlet hole to 5/8" to fit the gascolator housing and, second, trimed the outside seal on top of the filter, not necessary but it serves no purpose on this application.

20240128_165920.jpg.9dcd045624aae0c5e032dfa739c3a088.jpg

The glass bowl gasket that came with the kit is too small for the gascolator and could not be used.

20240128_170121.jpg.3c1ce885b7bed3e70e2abe9eaaccfd5c.jpg

Still looking for a long arm gascolator. Have a short arm one for trade or will buy.

20240120_124405.jpg.1a5501d3bcc85072fc629d4c2e7d2c67.jpg

Picture of model - S, short arm gascolator.

• Thanks 2

Good work!

I assume you mean the new glass bowl gasket was not used but there is still the old one in place.