FIA/HISTORIC TECHNICAL PASSPORT (HTP)

BlueDevil

It would only be important to a new owner who wanted to also race your car in events where this matters. Mostly the larger European events as far as I am aware.  Really adds no value at all to a 1928 Chrysler 72. Perhaps 6 people in the world might want to race such a car at events where this would be a requirement. Now if you were talking about a Lotus 23 or something of the like where quite a few examples are raced in Europe or the U.K. it would be a much different story. But I don't believe this " technical passport " is required for events in North America. I don't have one for my Lola T492, but it never goes further than Western Canada.

• Like 2

I did look up the HTP. It seems to me thats its a certification for a race car. Doesnt have to be an authentic race car, just needs to meet their standards. I also had to see what a 1928 Chrysler 72 was and for the life of me, I dont see that model as being a race car. I suppose it may be heavily modified though. Not playing in that sandbox, I cannot imagine that having that cert. will add any value to the car itself. If someone is buying the car to participate in a sanctioned event it may be a bonus (if its transferable) but I would not pay more for that. 

I have 2 cars that are POCI legacy vehicles (whatever that is), the added value is the .10c worth of paper I printed it on.

• Like 1

TAKerry,

Thanks for the look up. It is my understanding that if you want to qualify for the races in Europe, you need an HTP. As 1912Staver said, it is not needed for most if not all events in the US.

Basically, it certifies it as a race car, I am told and you have confirmed.

In '28 Chrysler 72 roadsters came in 3rd and 4th in Le Mans, 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 12th at SPA, 2nd and 3rd at the Mille Miglia. They weighed less than 3,000# and had 85+ horsepower.

They averaged 65 mph for the 24 hours which would have been fast enough to win the 1927 race, outright.

image.png.a65d5ba22932721765f55362a9ba8977.png

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

TAKerry,

Thanks for the look up. It is my understanding that if you want to qualify for the races in Europe, you need an HTP. As 1912Staver said, it is not needed for most if not all events in the US.

Basically, it certifies it as a race car, I am told and you have confirmed.

In '28 Chrysler 72 roadsters came in 3rd and 4th in Le Mans, 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 12th at SPA, 2nd and 3rd at the Mille Miglia. They weighed less than 3,000# and had 85+ horsepower.

They averaged 65 mph for the 24 hours which would have been fast enough to win the 1927 race, outright.

Quite an achievement in 1928 for a standard production car 

image.png.a65d5ba22932721765f55362a9ba8977.png

They do have some good , period racing use / history. But these days I can't imagine anyone but a small handful of people wanting to race one. They probably are quite a bit cheaper to buy / race than say a Bentley 3  Liter or a 30/98 Vauxhall.

Not very many pre WW-2 American, production based cars being vintage raced that I am aware of. The odd Brass Era speedster, and a smallish number of American built race cars are all I have seen at West coast events. { Miller, Duesenberg Indy type cars as well as a " junk formula " car every now and then }. Most of the cars I see out on the track are either post war sports cars or post war , purpose built racing cars.