Hubcap dimensional info

JohnnyF

We (bogartracingwheels.com/steely-dan/)  make replica old school wheels that use snap on hubcaps...NOT wheel covers. I need some dimensional data for fitments of various hubcaps so when I machine the "stub" for the caps to fit over that I'm not making them too big or small. Right now I measure whatever caps someone sends us but most are used and not very round so I use an average to determine the size I cut the center clip-on area to slightly bigger than the average I come up with from the cap itself. I'm most concerned about making the OD too small and having the caps come off too easy.

Thx

JohnnyF

Edited by JohnnyF (see edit history)

It would seem to me that if you are running a business, it would be in your best interest to purchase a selection of original steel wheels to both measure and use as a quality-check gauge, rather than relying on someone's measurement that may or may not be correct.

• Like 2

They are not consistent across brands, nor across years of the same brand. Some were the same over a period of time. The "upside down" 14 inch Ford wheels of the late 50s through the very early 60s can all interchange hubcaps with each other. Mopar 14-15 inch from about 1968 through the end of dog dish hubcaps, including the slotted police wheels of the 1980s can interchange hubcaps with each other. I can't think of any other ranges I am sure of. Industry wide, there was a ton of variation back in the 50s-80s period, and cars often had one wheel that had been replaced and did not match. Using hubcaps like this if you had a wrong wheel usually meant going to the junkyard and digging through hundreds of wheels until you got an exact match. They all had hundreds to dig through, too. Not anymore. I hope you get enough responses here to make your job a little easier, but I suspect you will have to keep doing it about like you have been. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

It would seem to me that if you are running a business, it would be in your best interest to purchase a selection of original steel wheels to both measure and use as a quality-check gauge, rather than relying on someone's measurement that may or may not be correct.

Hey Joe I am looking for am exhaust manifold for a 153 cu 4 cylinder chevy stock. Do you have one for sale?

On 12/28/2023 at 9:24 AM, joe_padavano said:

I was asking for information. These replica type wheels are not our primary product, they are specialty products that we produce very few of. 90% of the people who want these have no clue as far as sizes of hubcaps they need and the ones they send in for us to look at are bent or warped and are, at best, difficult to average out for fitment.  I have dimensional date for 20 million different automotive wheels but cannot find any data for old-school hubcaps so thought I would ask and see if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction.

P.S. The 20 million reference was sarcasm...

• Like 1