1931 Chrysler - door close ‘assist’

EThomas

I wasn’t exactly sure how to describe my question in the title. 

I’ve noticed the Chrysler doesn’t have the same little ‘lip’ (for lack of a better term) on the top of the door sill to help close the door as the Model A does. 

I hate using the inside door handle opener. It feels like I’m stressing it. Also, it’s not the best to roll down the window and either pull on the top of the door or the middle part of the door. I’m not the most nimble fella (God gave me a healthy dose of clumsy, so I’m concerned I’m gonna pinch my fingers or charlie horse myself!)

Is there an accessory out there that mimics what the Model A has?

Is there a technique I’m missing. How do you close the door without pulling on the inside handle? Where’s the strap?!? lol

3 hours ago, EThomas said:

I wasn’t exactly sure how to describe my question in the title. 

I’ve noticed the Chrysler doesn’t have the same little ‘lip’ (for lack of a better term) on the top of the door sill to help close the door as the Model A does. 

I hate using the inside door handle opener. It feels like I’m stressing it. Also, it’s not the best to roll down the window and either pull on the top of the door or the middle part of the door. I’m not the most nimble fella (God gave me a healthy dose of clumsy, so I’m concerned I’m gonna pinch my fingers or charlie horse myself!)

Is there an accessory out there that mimics what the Model A has?

Is there a technique I’m missing. How do you close the door without pulling on the inside handle? Where’s the strap?!? lol

I hate to say it, but using the door opener handle may be the best way to close the door. You should be able to get up enough momentum to almost let the door close itself without pulling hard on the handle. Be sure your door closing/latching hardware is greased up to work smoothly and there should be no breaking of the pot metal handle. You could also look for some stainless steel replacement handles.

• Like 1

Thank you.

I was hoping there was something like the handles I’ve seen on some Packards or Pierce-Arrows. I’ll grease the doors and see if that makes a difference. Outside of that, I’ll just have to be mindful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Narve N said:

A handle like this found on a 1929 Series 75 Convertible Sedan can be installed if it otherwise difficult to close the door. I believe these were more common prior to 1931, but it will not look out of place on a 31.

29ChryS75CvtSedan2309NORVidarThon(8).jpg.fa1e9a89bf14df9fe063962a4c93beaa.jpg

I was going to suggest a strap mounted under the door handle, but it would have to be mounted so as to not put pressure on the handle itself.