Wood in the construction of Cadillac automobiles

I encountered a problem with the front passenger door in my 1936 Cadillac Series 60 Touring Sedan.  The door was sagging and when I went to tighten the hinge bolts on the door, they just spun around. 
I disassembled the door and found that at some point water had damaged the wood. 

Some reading revealed the following. The Fisher Brothers were finish carpenters by trade and they were responsible for the use of wood in most GM cars up until their death.  I think that Cadillac went to all steel construction in most models in 1937. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 3:20 PM, NewOldWood said:

I built a set of wood sills for a 41 Cadillac a while ago. The originals were all but gone but the owner came up with a set of blueprints. Not sure where he got them but they were a nice set of prints.

IMG_3039.JPG

1941?!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 3:45 PM, NewOldWood said:

I never saw the car but that's what I was told. What makes you question it?

1936 was the last year Ford used any wood in their bodies. It is surprising that an upscale brand would still be using wood anywhere.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 1:38 AM, Model56s said:

1936 was the last year Ford used any wood in their bodies. It is surprising that an upscale brand would still be using wood anywhere.

For structural, almost so.  Rolls-Royce coachbuilders like Freestone & Webb used wood in body construction well after the second world war.  Wood was shaped by genuine craftsmen, and at the time considered superior to thin steel, either machine-stamped, or hand formed.  

For cosmetic trim, I would EXPECT real wood in an upscale brand, not cheap plastic made to look like wood!!

Craig

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

For structural, almost so.  Rolls-Royce coachbuilders like Freestone & Webb used wood in body construction well after the second world war.  Wood was shaped by genuine craftsmen, and at the time considered superior to thin steel, either machine-stamped, or hand formed.  

For cosmetic trim, I would EXPECT real wood in an upscale brand, not cheap plastic made to look like wood!!

Craig

Interesting to this lover of pre-1974 American mass produced cars, and I agree regarding interior trim. 

Good information, thanks.

• Like 1