Dynastart

Biggs

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and hoping I can find some information to help me fit a Dynastart to my friend's 1913 Buick Model 25.

Is someone able to tell me what the operating rpm of the engine is? The Dynastart I have is a reproduction Bosch item, which from the paperwork, seems to push out the optimum charge at around 3300rpm. To achieve this, the 17" flywheel on the Buick would require a 9" pulley on the Dynastart and the engine to run in the region of 1800rpm. Am in the ballpark? Has anyone else fitted a Dynastart to an early Buick?

Looking forward to your advice.

Best

Biggs

PS. I've got a little bit bit more information on the dynastart: it can run successfully up to around 5000rpm which can reduce the pulley size to a more manageable 6" diameter - a roughly 3:1 ratio.

IMG_9138a.jpg

Edited by Biggs
More relevant info (see edit history)

Yes Larry it looks to be earlier. Note 1911-1912 style radiator. Possibly a 1911 model 27 touring car with a cut down rear. It may be a bit of mix and match. Roadsters had much shorter running boards and usually had a fuel tank mounted behind the front seat. This does not look anything like a 1913-25.

Most interesting! Thank you both for your input.

The seat resting on the back of the car is from a Model T - or so I'm told. The owner acquired it with the with the intention of it restoring the car to a four-seat configuration. The top of the rear mudguards are shaped in such a way that implies the car had a tourer body. It looks like someone has created a 'special'. My own choice would be to leave it as it is, although I might change the lunch box on the running board for a wooden example!

I'll take and post some more pictures. 

Larry Schramm, I notice you have some early cars in your list; have you any idea of their rev ranges?

Best,

Biggs

Biggs, Your Buick can be fitted with a ring gear on the flywheel to accept a modern starter.  However, you can also use a torque multiplier with a cordless drill to start your car from the front.   Starting rpm is very low and should not be an issue.

See below: 

My primary touring car is a 1913 Model 31 Buick with a flywheel that is totally enclosed by the bell housing.  Therefore, installing a ring gear starter is not an option without butchering the car.  So, I decided to assemble a simple electric starter setup to crank from the front of the car by using a torque multiplier and cordless electric drill.  I used a Neiko Pro Model 03715B torque multiplier ($239) and a Dewalt ½” cordless drill Model DCD771C2 ($99 with charger & 2 batteries).  Both items were available via AMAZON with free shipping.   

The torque multiplier is a simple reduction gearbox that converts high speed input to lower speed with higher torque by pushing on an immovable lever arm. The Neiko unit has ½” female socket drives on both sides and a 1/2” lever arm bar that can push against the frame horn of the car while cranking.  I also added ½” foam pipe insulation to the lever arm to protect the paint on the frame horn (see photos).

I tested this starter setup to cold start my 201 cu in four-cylinder engine that had not been started in months.  It took several tries to get enough gas into the engine to start after sitting so long, but it turned over faster and longer than I could ever crank it manually.   If you build this electric starter, be cautious and prepare to hold tightly onto the drill with the grip horizontal as it will push up hard against your right hand.  Also note that the variable speed drill should be started slowly while pushing in to engage the crank before going to full speed.

The best part is that this starter only requires removal of the hand crank with no modification of the original car. 

Mark Shaw

Vancouver, WA USA

Thanks Mark,

I'm committed to the Dynastart as my friend has already purchased it. He's also of a certain age where wielding a torque starter such as you describe, might have unwelcome consequences!

Out of interest, do you have an idea of the rev range of your 1913 Model 31?

Best,

Biggs

On 12/8/2023 at 9:21 AM, Biggs said:

Out of interest, do you have an idea of the rev range of your 1913 Model 31?

I have never put a tachometer on it, but I can follow a single fan blade rotation at idle.   

I am sure it could be calculated for the 34" tires at 40 mph by some engineering types.