End of an era.

Dave Wells

Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in permanently closes

This drive-in has been the location of weekly car shows and get-togethers for many, many years. It will be sorely missed. Please click on the link below for historical information and a listing of events that happened through the year. This is/was a very popular Seattle area attraction drawing participants from throughout the Pacific Northwest and Canada.

image.png.22a708c3ca753e770c5ea3cca4976be1.png 

The Triple XXX Root Beer Drive-in in Issaquah, WA, has closed for good after the owning family says they were told to strip the building.

After years of service to the community, the restaurant’s last night was Wednesday.

The family says the new owners asked them to take everything out and strip the building down to the bare walls.

According to a history written on the triplexrootbeer.com said the first XXX restaurant was opened in Renton, WA, in 1930.

The Issaquah location, originally found on Sunset Way, moved to its current location in 1968.

According to triplexrootbeer.com, the large barrel sign in Issaquah is the largest lighted Plexiglass sign on the West Coast.

http://triplexrootbeer.com/

image.png.8cc464f85091d31c042ac4ee2d8c97c0.png

Edited by Dave Wells (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

As much as I hate to see it be shut down and all the memorabilia removed, the food wasn't all that fantastic the last few times I went. Fairly expensive and they only accepted cash, which was a little odd given how much business they did. The local Burgermaster chain is taking them over apparently, which makes sense as they are losing one of their old Seattle locations to development; the food is much better too. I just hope they maintain some amount of the building's history with the renovation; taking down the barrel would be a crime.

I don't think the original building is even there. Maybe just the barrel? I remember Triple-X drive ins, and what I saw there in the 2000s didn't really resemble one. The last Triple-X building I was aware of that really looked intact was in Top Hat WA, just north of Burien. It had not been a true drive-in for many years, having been a bar and the I believe Indian food right at the last. It was still standing around 2014 but is gone now. 

112th_barrel.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

According to their website, which is surprisingly still online, the first Issaquah XXX was torn down to make a parking lot, and the current building constructed around 1968. Apparently the Issaquah location may have the only remaining barrel sign.