Remote Brake Reservoir 1939 LZ

jord

I was tempted to when I redid the brakes on my '41, but you have to run plastic hoses/reservoir from the master cylinder to the engine compartment and it doesn't line up with the hole in the floor for refilling the reservoir for the updated master cylinders.   It's strictly aftermarket and not sure how well it works.  Keeping things original is by far the best way to hold the value of the vehicles.  Also tempting was to install a Mustang dual master cylinder, but in the long run probably not a good idea unless the brake system has issues and one is afraid of losing the entire hydraulic braking limited to one chamber.  Then there's the new disc brake system (Mustang) and power booster provided you have enough vacuum on the engine.  This just goes on and on!   

Ray, you may be right. I thought the original cap would be removed and a new cap with the rubber hose adapter would clear the opening. I will check further and with the hose it would be under no pressure. 

Still sounds ok to me, eliminates pulling up the carpet and possibly messing it up. just messing with the idea.

If you look at the setup from the supplier, you can see there are 2 hoses for the dual master cylinder, single on single M/C.  The hose was quite large I thought, and there's a small tank that is mounted under the hook on the firewall that you keep filled with brake fluid.   But it is all plastic!  They do that mainly on the dual cylinder M/C units as when you mount it the hole in the floor of the driver's side won't line up!   So you can only fill it from the remote reservoir.  There are kits to mount the M/C on the firewall under the hood, but that now requires a lot of mods so your brake pedal can operate the M/C now on the firewall.  Then you could put a power assist unit on the M/C for better braking.  Or get Toyota!   Smile!   

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a remote cylinder fill chamber on the inner fender well.  I needed to do this as we replaced the master with a dual diaphragm power brake unit and  Wilwood dual master cylinder under the floor, and the fill caps didn't line up with the hole in the floor.  As noted there are more opportunities for leaks, but the fill chamber and hoses are not under much pressure.  I also rigged up a cap so I can apply low pressure compressed air under the hood to bleed brakes.  Works pretty good.

Abe