1950 Buick Special 43D - AFT Fluid Dynaflow Transmission

Jmbt 1950 Buick

I am wondering what is the best AFT fluid for the 1950 Buick Special 43D with the Dynaflow transmission. I read somewhere to use Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF, but I can’t find that post anymore. The posts I am seeing now say to use DEXRON III. Is one better than the other? Will the DEX/MERC work (I already bought some)? We have been working on the transmission, and when I refill it I plan on running it for about 30 minutes to flush it, then change the AFT. I just want to make sure that it is ok to put the DEX/MERC in there, but when we buy more I would like to get the best kind. 

Thanks, Josh 

DEX/MERC is basically Dexron III, as Valvoline states:

"Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF is the automatic transmission fluid that has been uniquely engineered to meet and exceed the requirements automatic transmissions in vehicles that specify Dexron-III fluids."

So you are good to go. 👍

Others may chime in with differing views... ☺️

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

DEX/MERC is basically Dexron III, as Valvoline states:

"Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF is the automatic transmission fluid that has been uniquely engineered to meet and exceed the requirements automatic transmissions in vehicles that specify Dexron-III fluids."

So you are good to go. 👍

Others may chime in with differing views... ☺️

Thanks! 

Dexron II and Dexron III should do the job. Just check that that the box has GM specifications (and not Chrysler, nor Ford specification). Did you know that your 1950 Buick originally came with brown transmission oil? Just like a motor oil. First year with dyed oil was in 1958 and has been red since.