V-12 Generators with different mounting brackets???

West Peterson

Photo 1 with the wide bracket could be for the 1949 Ford. I have never seen that type of mount on a 1949-1953 Ford, Lincoln or Mercury car. The 49-53 generators that I have seen have a clamp that goes around the generator to hold the generator to the mount, so the the generator can be removed without disturbing the fan belt tension. The 49-51 Lincoln mount was shorter than the Ford or Mercury mount because the fan bolted to the block. The 52 Lincoln went to the Y-block and the generator was mounted under the V on these cars.

The pulley and mount are different from the 1942-1948 Ford. In 1942 Ford and Mercury moved the fan from the crank pulley to a separate mount that bolted to the generator mount. This required a wider generator mount with threaded holes for the bolts that held the bracket to the generator. The 42-48 mount had raised edges on the generator mount to keep the fan mount in the correct orientation.

Photo 2 is for the 1941 Ford and was used on the 41 Lincoln. The mount is the same as the 39-40 generator, but the 41 had a grounding lug where a wire that ran to the base of the regulator was attached.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent these generators to a repair shop to find out if they were any good. Apparently the guy got the impression that I wanted them rebuilt, as that is what he did (including sealed bearings, which is a good thing). Now I have three good generators, and I don't need any of them. So....

For Sale. $200 each, plus shipping sound fair???