1967 Thunderbird $4500 Project Price

This is not a collector vehicle we often see on the Not Mine section but it caught my eye because of the “money shot” if you will – of the side profile.  Arguably the post square bird 61-66 era is more sought after, especially by Ford T Bird enthusiasts, and there is a lull which is never completely satisfactory. 

When the T Bird picked up with shared Lincoln platforms in 1969, one could argue that the car to collect would be the Continental Mark derivative.   I like T Birds too from 1969 to 1973, but apples to apples I would pick a Lincoln Mark. 

I have not been a fan of the 61-66 T Birds solely because of the “squared” off roof.  The rest of the car evokes motion, and the interiors were still highly competitive with the GM upstarts like Grand Prix, Starfire, Wildcat and Riviera.  

The Riviera though, cemented Ford’s styling decision to go formal roof as a styling feature.  The Riviera however, is a much better styled totality of design in 1963-65.  

The Square Bird of 1958-1960 by most accounts is considered a styling dog, but I love them because they are so overdone, they speak to a different time and place.  Own one and I am sure you enjoy the styling, performance and enjoyment of the old car hobby. 

But for 1967, Ford under Henry the Deuce and Iacocca were looking at commonalities and cross pollination and that is why the T Bird became a 4 door and the convertible was dropped. 

Love it or hate it, the 67 basic T Bird 2 door hardtop is an interesting and styled car meant to separate the past from the future. 

• Like 1

These cars are an acquired taste but they have grown on me over the years and I really like them now.  IMO the base hardtop model with a painted roof (as we have here) is the best looking 2 door.  Great color combo.  Seems fairly price.  I love the 4 door Landau also but not the 2 door with no quarter windows.  

• Thanks 1

The "squared up roof" was a huge TBird styling success that, when put on the mid-year '59 Galaxie, set the tone for roofs for decades. It was considered upscale and formal. Everybody copied it. Everybody.

The vinyl top craze escaped this 'bird, and it's a bit shabby, but a nice color combo. 

• Like 1