Overhead interior dome light assembly for 37 special

Skidplate

Hey guys (and girls) I have a question concerning my dome light assembly. My interior is very original and reasonably pristine. This includes the dome light. My problem is, I'm afraid to pry the center plastic out of its spot to replace the lamp and if necessary, troubleshoot the wiring to get it back to operational. I remember that when I was a kid and these cars WEREN'T old and brittle, they just popped out if you pulled hard enough. But I'm going to assume 80 some year old plastic isn't going to pop (and flex) like it used to. I've tried to unscrew the whole assembly (plastic and ring) therefore not to stress out the plastic but to no avail. And not knowing which way to try to turn the ring (clockwise or counter), I'm back to trial and error and it hasn't budged yet. I know a bunch of you guys have already dealt with this so give me the Good or Bad news. Is there any graceful way to get this off? Otherwise it'll just have to stay really pretty and REALLY worthless.

I think the 1937 and 1938 are the same. I just checked an extra one that I had left over from a 1938 restoration and confirmed that you simply pull down on the metal ring around the plastic lens. A small screwdriver or hook like tool should work. The metal ring is a friction fit on the lamp assembly. The ring and lens simply pull away from the assembly, no need to turn it.

• Thanks 1

Ok finally got around to actually looking closely at the plastic lens and surrounding trim ring. There may be a 1/16" space between the plastic and the outer ring (maybe/doubtfully) so I just can't imagine there is enough room to get anything between there without damaging the plastic or ring or both. Or that there could be a metal ring between there that can be slid or pried out. Could you please take a picture or two of what you are talking about. I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing it.

I can try to check my 1937 tomorrow, but what I checked was a spare 1938 dome light assembly that I think is the same. You don't pull down on the plastic. Pull down gently on the outside of the metal trim ring and the entire plastic lens and metal trim ring should pull off as it is just a friction fit that holds it in place. (The plastic and metal trim ring don't need to be separated, they come off together.)