Rear and side window glass

Leif in Calif

There's another post about  back glass interchanges between GM cars. I just wanted to point out that tempered glass that is curved with a single fairly large radius can now be sourced by your local glass shop (depending on location). It doesn't work for something like a late 50's car that has bends of various radius but if you need the center lite of a three piece back window, or a curved side glass it could be done. Here in California many tempering facilities have the ability to produce bent tempered glass in 1/4 or 3/16 thickness. You would just need to provide a flat pattern or a CAD drawing.  Your local glass shop may not know this is possible...They will need some education. It's still a specialty product, which means that some people will try to really make some money on it, so shop around. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my prized finds 50+ years ago in a group of obsolete auto manuals dumped by a local garage was a glass interchange book covering 1940-1953.  From it I learned which bodies were shared across which makes within each company.  If anyone has a question on an Amercian car in those years, message me here, I'll gladly answer your questions.

• Like 4