Handbrake release rod wanted for repair or replacement, circa 1928

28Buick

Kind of like bridge painting, fixed a broken axle shaft then pulled the hand brake lever, and the ratchet no longer holds it in place. So I am looking for the hand brake release rod, about two feet long, pictured here. I doubt if it can be repaired with the break at the most stressful spot. Anybody have one to spare? Any  suggestions for a workaround? I read the posts about the 1925 handbrake, but did not discover anything about a busted release rod. Your suggestions are most welcome.

buick-uploads.jpg

Buick must have had a design engineer with one specialty designing emergency brake levers, and he had to justify his existence by redesigning them almost yearly.  The upper end that you see from the drivers seat is identical, but the bottom end has many configurations.  The ratchet and pawl also have multiple configurations. To make things more ambiguous, the only marking I have seen is at the bottom end of the lever and is not a full part number.  These two levers that I have are probably somewhere around 1928 but I can't pinpoint the exact year.  

The release rod really does not have to sustain much of a load, its only function is to release the ratchet.  I would suggest your first step is to weld yours and see if it holds.  Perhaps cut it off 1/2" up the shaft and splice a new bent end so the weld is not right on the bend. 

Kevin

lever table.jpg

lever end view.jpg

lever side view.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 6:44 AM, EmTee said:

Or, maybe fabricate a replacement from steel rod stock: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/steel-rods/low-carbon-steel-rods-and-discs-7/

Great suggestion. The Buick emergency brake design engineer at least used standard parts. No need to order McMaster as local Lowes has the right rod. A standard SAE tap at one end, a 90 degree bend and two small cotter pin holes at the other end. Silly that I did not think to fabricate the part it in the first place. Powder coated the rod as I did not want to wait for paint to dry. The new rod is installed and looks and works great. Thanks.

buick-uploads.jpg

• Like 4