1923 special

rjp

Iam working on a 1923 Studebaker special 6. Iam looking for maybe a pattern or possible purchase of the friction pads on the spark and throttle levers up on the column.  What would be a good material to make them out of.?  Thanks.  Would they be the same as any other car?     Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Top bow saddles for a 23 Studebaker special 6 Touring. I dont know if the mounts should be top middle of bottom of the saddle. They are the type that slide in a pipe for mounting Thanks any help would be appreciated.  Thanks again   Roger

Edited by rjp (see edit history)

For Special Six and Big Six Touring Cars

image.jpg.1627e80c7aa762f4a6a6c2bee53a089f.jpgRoadster would be a bit shorter.

I walked the entire flea market at Hershey this year which took 3 full days to walk at about 8 miles per day and only found one of them. It happens to be the same one for my 1921 Oldsmobile - about 1-1/2” taller than the ones on my Studebaker Light Six.

They measure 9” on the inside dimensionimage.jpg.eca6a269b64450abcbf22f565704acf6.jpg

These were purchased by Studebaker from a third party supplier that made them for other OEMs. They are a number 439 (cast into the back side).

A friend found one at Hershey last year (2022) so the one I found this year completes the pair. I watched eBay for over a year and also posted in the Wanted section in this forum but had no luck. 

It may take a long while but one (or a pair) will eventually pop up.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:11 PM, rjp said:

Iam working on a 1923 Studebaker special 6. Iam looking for maybe a pattern or possible purchase of the friction pads on the spark and throttle levers up on the column.  What would be a good material to make them out of.?  Thanks.  Would they be the same as any other car?     Roger

Those little friction pads were made from bakelite back in the day. Any decent black plastic should work but not something too slippery. For instance, I wouldn't use polyethylene. Nylon 6/6 maybe? Many car manufacturers used the same levers - they weren't manufactured by Studebaker.

• Like 1