Engine "hiccups"

no1parfive

Have 89" TC, 4-cyl, 2.2L engine, engine suddenly started to "hiccup" while  driving, and also while idling.  Per my previous posts, I had to remove cylinder head and associated parts to replace gaskets, and, retime the engine.  Engine ran fine for a couple of weeks and suddenly started to hiccup while running and idling, the hiccups were about 8 to 10 seconds apart.  Any ideas or suggestions as to the cause of this problem would be appreciated.

Edited by no1parfive (see edit history)

6 hours ago, no1parfive said:

Have 89" TC, 4-cyl, 2.2L engine, engine suddenly started to "hiccup" while  driving, and also while idling.  Per my previous posts, I had to remove cylinder head and associated parts to replace gaskets, and, retime the engine.  Engine ran fine for a couple of weeks and suddenly started to hiccup while running and idling, the hiccups were about 8 to 10 seconds apart.  Any ideas or suggestions as to the cause of this problem would be appreciated.

I understand what you are trying to convey, the answer is When you take your car 🚘 out for a test drive to reproduce the “hiccup“, drive at a steady speed, on an open highway, at the posted speed with the cruise control set at the speed limit. Be aware of the tachometer and RPM the needle is on in particular!

If the hiccup occurs as the tach needle DROPS from that RPM you have been traveling at, continue and see if that happens over and over. It is only a minute drop so you must be focused, but also on your driving. IF THIS HAPPENS:

My conclusion is that the Hall Plate is the cause of your problem.

You hopefully know where it is and what to do.  REPLACE IT.

If you are prepared with a new one or even a used one and long Phillips head screwdriver, stop somewhere safe and replace it and double check the replacement on the way back. 

On 9/22/2023 at 6:01 PM, no1parfive said:

When I say "hiccup" I'm referring to a momentary drop in RPM, occurring at about ten to fifteen second intervals, while driving or idling.

I understood that to be the case.

On 9/22/2023 at 5:33 PM, no1parfive said:

Thanks Hemi, I was kind of thinking about the hall plate as the possible problem, will replace it and go from there.

If you just replace ‘it’, you learn nothing! That is why I went to such a long explanation as to ‘how’ YOU can test it on your car without any test equipment.

’We’ learn nothing doing the ‘replace until it works’ method!.

I must say, I get very tired trying to TEACH people HOW to do ‘it’, when all they want is the quick fix and are too lazy to ‘WANT’ to learn. 
That is part of the reason we have the society ’we have’. 
When I went to school, WE learned HOW TO LEARN, not just ANSWERS without knowing HOW WE REACHED THEM.

• Like 1

I do appreciate the info you provided and that info will always retain its value. I decided to just replace the Hall plate because I already had a new one and it takes just a couple of minutes to replace it, however, when I disconnected the two electrical connectors, one of the connectors was severely corroded, after cleaning out the corrosion, I reconnected the wires, reassembled the distributor, started the engine and ran it at idle speed for about ten minutes at idle speed, no hiccups occurred, I then drove it around for about twenty minutes, no hiccups occurred.  So, I assume the problem was caused by a corroded connector.  Again, I appreciate all of your valuable info and interest.

On 9/24/2023 at 6:13 PM, no1parfive said:

I do appreciate the info you provided and that info will always retain its value. I decided to just replace the Hall plate because I already had a new one and it takes just a couple of minutes to replace it, however, when I disconnected the two electrical connectors, one of the connectors was severely corroded, after cleaning out the corrosion, I reconnected the wires, reassembled the distributor, started the engine and ran it at idle speed for about ten minutes at idle speed, no hiccups occurred, I then drove it around for about twenty minutes, no hiccups occurred.  So, I assume the problem was caused by a corroded connector.  Again, I appreciate all of your valuable info and interest.

Born Thanksgiving time in 1940, I wold think that you were taught in school by repetition upon repetition. That being said, your teachers didn't just 'give' you the answers, you had to work for them!

That same practice should be observed when diagnosing a problem on your car. I, as the instructor, gave you my "educated Guess". It was up to you to actually perform the mundane task of performing the assigned task, in order for you to follow and observe the results. As you found the corrosion in one of the connectors while replacing or at least attempting to remove the hall plate,  is commendable. Being your senior by one year and one month, I am still disappointed that you did not follow the instructions given. I would not give you a passing grade on this assignment.

Dr. TC.