1917 Dodge touring car

1912 Caddy

Yesterday I bought a 17 Dodge touring and I need a set of top bow wood.

I know it is short notice but I am hoping to pick up a set at Hershey in a couple of weeks.

As I am new to Dodge I need to know who might have or make bows, please post any sugestions for a supplier.

Thanks 

Mike

There should be someone here on the west coast, down in California. If he doesn't make the wood bows, then might be able to put you in touch with someone that does. I didn't read the post but if you do a search of "John's Enterprises in Auburn California", several posting will come up with that information. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the leads but as I said I plan to be at the Hershey swap meet, even though it is a long way from where I live I still would not have to pay freight if I could pick them up there.

I have been trying to call Romar Dodge parts but the phone wont ring. I sent them an email this morning but no responce yet.

Mike

On 9/20/2023 at 3:23 PM, 1912 Caddy said:

I need a set of top bow wood.

Do you have the steel sockets and hinges?

It's all about the geometry that allows the top to fold when down/stored and lock into position when erected.

Here in the USA it's mostly the horse and buggy trade or the marine canvas trade that's most familiar with that geometry.

If anyone has drawings, prints or links to the original top dimensions for any make of automobile, posting it on an AACA forum would be a great way to preserve that information until the www flickers off, which it will.

I finnaly got in contact with Romar Dodge and had very good results. Although they dont stock top bow wood they had a set in the warehouse from years ago.

They went the extra effort to dig them out and get masurements, the bows are very close to what I need and they will take them to Hershey for me.

It is a great pleasure in this day and age to find people like the ones at Romar Dodge parts that will go the extra mile to service there customers.

They have my bussines for life.

Mike

• Like 1

Get photos before you commit to buy. I had a set of new Dodge Brothers top bows that lost their shape retainers (wood slat across the bottom to help keep their shape) many years ago and because of how/where they were stored, spread out quite a bit. Think the Sahara Desert has more moisture than they did!

Was not sure what year or body style they were for, so decided to not mess with them.

Part of the bending process is heat, so decided that just soaking them in cold water (didn't have room anyway) more than likely wouldn't get me anywhere with time and energy spent to end up with the wrong ones at the end. I made them go away. 

The great thing about picking them up at the swap meet is I will get to look them over before I pay for them.

I did get pictures of them and they have the shape retainers in place, they also sent me the masurements and they are very close to my old ones.

Thank's Mike

• Like 2