TPS showing strange voltage

TheLeftTomb707

Yep, that's backwards. If that is the case how does the engine respond? Is it the correct TPS? If memory serves, there are similar TPS models from earlier years of GM that have two terminals reversed although they will plug in properly. I don't have one in front of me but I believe the terminals are marked on the case.

3 hours ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

It actually runs relatively fine, just a high idle. I got a new TPS and connector and the I think I got them from AutoZone, but not too sure, and there compatibility said it was right one. I'm not home rn so when I get home I'll look at it.

It is possible the TPS is correct but the connector may have a different color code?? The high voltage at the idle position does usually cause high idle, but I have never seen one at full voltage. This tells the ECM two things, it is at a level that would call for power enrichment when running at rpm or would turn off the injectors while cranking because it thinks it is in clear flood mode. I am surprised it runs okay.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Are with wire colors connected to the TPS in the sequence shown below?

TPS wiring.jpeg

I think that's the problem, the black is going to the left of the tps when on the throttle, which from what I understand is the top in the photo, which should be the grey. do I just switch the 2 wires or do I need a new connector?

I am making the assumption that is the plug face that connects to the sensor and the latch is the right side in this view. Orient the plug face as shown and make sure the factory color codes connect in the order shown. No need for a new plug as it was hand connected in the first place. Just correct the order. When finished it should be in the range of .38v-.42v

• Like 1