A 1932 Oldsmobile DCR in Belgium

During the disassembly of the steering column and the steering wheel, I noticed that the nut was not tight and the steering wheel was quite loose.

Now when installing I saw that the nut only fit a small distance on the thread and not far enough to be able to tighten properly.

There was 4mm thread too little after measuring the height of the shaft and the nut, while the nut is 8mm thick.

I have no idea what the cause is, but maybe a steering wheel from another model of Oldsmobile.

Another shaft would also be possible, but then the horn button with the throttle adjustment ring would not fit.

The center of the steering wheel under the milling machine has been milled off by 4mm so that the nut can now be tightened deeply enough.

Another problem solved and one step closer to getting the Oldsmobile in perfect condition.

IMG_5111 (2).jpg

IMG_5110 (2).jpg

PHOTO-2024-03-15-16-41-33 (2).jpg

PHOTO-2024-03-15-17-00-06 (2).jpg

PHOTO-2024-03-15-17-00-34 (2).jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Conrad,

here’s everything I’ve put together. I won’t have the rubber pedal closeout panel for at least a couple months to send you. Does everything you need appear to be in the pictures. The roll of material is the bowdrill cloth to cover the window seals.

IMG_6753.jpeg

IMG_6754.jpeg

IMG_6755.jpeg

• Like 1

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your efforts and time in helping me, Ted.

It looks like everything is there.

Let me know when the rubber pedal closeout panel is available, this can still be placed on the car afterwards and is not immediately necessary for the technical inspection and registration of the Oldsmobile.

Maybe you have the bracket for the spare wheel? 

I think this Oldsmobile will be the only one in Europe in original condition, there is another one in Switzerland but it is no longer original.

Regards ,Conrad.

IMG_5057 (2).jpg