Grille center strip ID?

JoeShmoe

I'm wondering if anyone could help identify this grille center strip that's been gathering dust in the shop. It came to me on a '38 Chevy, and did not look out of place, or aftermarket or "Force fit".  The curve matched the grille too. When I ordered reproduction trim, I noticed that the "correct" strip was wider and longer and had a center crease or character line. This one has a rounded face and shorter. This take-off is 17" long and 11/16" wide. Anybody have a clue what it could be for?       Joe G

100_8997.JPG

100_8992.JPG

100_8991.JPG

100_8995.JPG

100_8988.JPG

Given the shape of the ends, one possibility is that the shorter flat piece in the first two pictures is a windshield center divider moulding of some kind, maybe a 1949-1952 Chevrolet, Olds or Pontiac. The length seems to be in the ballpark. If that total length is actually about a half an inch longer, I might be on the right track. Just something to consider or a direction to look. 

On 8/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, JoeShmoe said:

Actually, the third picture is a side view of the part trying to show the curve in the strip. Didn't 2 piece windshield cars have flat glass? 

That era GM cars had two-piece windshields that were curved.  But at the center division bar they have a very slight curve top-to-bottom.  Between all the car divisions and body styles there are at least 7 pairs of different windshields, all slightly differing heights. Good luck!  🍀(If that's what this part actually is)

Edited by KURTRUK (see edit history)

14 hours ago, KURTRUK said:

That era GM cars had two-piece windshields that were curved.  But at the center division bar they have a very slight curve top-to-bottom.  Between all the car divisions and body styles there are at least 7 pairs of different windshields, all slightly differing heights. Good luck!  🍀(If that's what this part actually is)

That's interesting; I didn't know that! There's always more to learn in this world, and this is a great place to do it. The answer I'm looking for is probably like looking for a needle in a haystack. But sometimes you run in to someone who "just happens to have his windshield or grille out" and you get lucky.