ID Help on this Gas Tank

thehandleman

Hi all this came with a 31 Chrysler Parts car but the gas tanks for mopar were oval for 29-32 the back bumper is a 28 chevy mounted on that chrysler  so I am thinking since this was sitting in back seat maybe for a chevy viv w ruled out the chevy at least 27-28 they had Gauges back on the Tank.

see pics ?? 
Thanks as usual for your expertise. I can only get couple pics will try and add more

Rich

71226828273__568482DE-7175-45F2-B199-03287C3AA890.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

Edited by thehandleman
changed title not a 27-28 chevy gas tank (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure the 28 Chev had a mechanical gas guage fitted on the opposite side to the filler neck. I can't see anywhere for a gas guage to be fitted to this tank, so perhaps it was used on a tractor or industrial vehicle ??

• Like 1

• thehandleman changed the title to ID Help on this Gas Tank

Hi Handleman, I bought a basket case 1923 Canadian Built Chevrolet Superior, and one of the fuel tanks, (on right)  I have looks very similar. Same dimensions, and  fuel outlet opposite side of filler. As I don't know exactly,

maybe 1923-1925?Chevrolet, based on parts ages I have. Hope this helps. Rod.

Tank2.png.cfa0ca2d63736cf571ed38a4294061cd.pngTank1.png.d4cdbd63a893435aa5199a2cd5dbfdf2.png

• Thanks 1

I have a tank identical to the one in question, including the screw-on 5 sided gas cap in excellent condition.  Came with a model A Roadster body purchased years ago.  Can't help with what these might have been originally used on (wish I could) - my guess has always been early pre-gauge Chevrolet due to the similarities, but have never tried very hard to check this out.  The same basic tank could easily have been supplied by the manufacturer to any number of early vehicle manufacturers I suppose.  Have seen the occasional similar one used on a hotrod.  Good luck and please update if you solve the mystery.

• Like 2