Is a Speedo cable like this a problem?

Rata Road

I'm about to refit my speedo and not sure if these slight bends are an issue, they are at the gearbox end.

When the first speedo failed I had a donor to try. I didn't realize that it was seized until as i drove of it was trying to spin in my hand. I held it firm for about 30 ft driving slow before i clicked.

Question - Do you think that strain caused the damage but more importantly is there any risk in refitting the inner cable as it is. I've just got the speedo back from a time consuming rebuild so I dont want to risk damage to the speedo.

Thanks

Speedo cable.JPG

• Like 1

It should be ok, in any case will not damage the speedo. If the needle is jumpy it is a sign the cable is binding. You should be able to buy a universal fit inner cable at the local auto parts store. They can be cut to length. Does the outer casing hang in gentle curves? It should not be bent at an angle.

You should be able to buy speedo cable lubricant too, do not grease the top 6" or a foot of the cable, you do not want grease working its way into the speedo.

The outer cable looks to be hanging correct without no sharp bends.

I spoke to the previous owner and he has never had the cable off the car in 45 years so I cleaned it and put a thin coating of graphite grease missing the top 2 inches.

Maybe I will refit it and see if it wobbles then get a replacement when I can get to town.

Many old era (and maybe even newer ones?) speedometer cables are bi-directional twisted spring steel wires wound into a kind of wire rope inside of a wire rope. This creates bi-directional strength and flexibility. When they begin to get kinky like that, it often is an indication that some of the small spring steel wires are beginning to fail and/or break. It probably won't seriously harm the speedometer if it breaks while running down the highway, although there is a slim chance that it could. 

As Rusty_OToole says, if the speedometer becomes or is jumpy, it likely means the cable is near ready to break. At that point it may be wise to disconnect it at the transmission end. Although be aware of possible ingresses of contaminants to the transmission.

I have seen speedometer cables breaking destroy the cable's housing/cable. Hence why it is wise to disconnect if it becomes jumpy or noisy. I am sure it has happened, but I have never seen one damage the speedometer itself.

Thanks Rusty. Yes I live 2 hr drive each way to a large town and 3.5 hrs each way to the city where rebuild shop is.

I fitted the cable as is and it works fine. The rebuilt speedo is operating correctly and the needle doesn't bounce so I am happy.

I phoned the company that rebuilt the speedo and they suggested I send both the outer and inner cable as they often have to replace both. Quote $200 - $250nzd if both done.

Think I'll leave it and monitor, wont be doing high mileage.

Thanks for your feedback Guys

Kevin

Rata I was in a similar fix some years back, trying to get a 1960 Ford on the road that had a speedo cable that was rusted solid. I got one off a 1970s Ford van, it was too long but it did fit and it worked perfectly. I am suggesting that a later model speedo cable may work, or be adapted to fit, if you can find one at a breaker's yard near you. Speedo cables did not change much. I recall seeing a parts list for Chevrolet that showed the same speedo cable fit various models from the forties to the eighties.