Lincoln v12 water pump diverter plates, pics?

DanS

Does anyone have clear pics of how the brass diverter plates are installed on the v12s? I only have the old drawing reference and it is not very clear. The plates on this engine seem to be makeshift and I don't know if they are correct or have the correct orientation.

Very interesting, When I finished my v12, I was aware of the diverter but didn't use them. My thinking was that I was using Hogan Heads with two water outlets per head.

Maybe the diverter would have been a good addition. I'll know when car gets on the road !

On 7/22/2023 at 5:05 AM, Przemek M said:

Here are some pictures showing the position of the diverter plate. I showed the water pump on the driver's side (LH).

Regards

20221127_220328 (1280x721).jpg

20221127_220323 (1280x721).jpg

20221127_215906 (1280x721).jpg

20221127_215919 (1280x721).jpg

20221127_215914 (1280x721).jpg

Thanks. I assume passenger side installs similarly, with the larger flat part towards the timing cover, like a mirror installation of this one?

20 hours ago, Ray500 said:

I think Chris Harrel @ Boos Harrel Lincoln has those diverter plates you can buy.  It's important they are put in properly if they're gonna work to get the coolant to the rear of the engine for cooling!   

Yes I know him. 

On 7/22/2023 at 10:10 AM, cdan34 said:

Very interesting, When I finished my v12, I was aware of the diverter but didn't use them. My thinking was that I was using Hogan Heads with two water outlets per head.

Maybe the diverter would have been a good addition. I'll know when car gets on the road !

Heads are one thing, but the overheating on the V12's is due to the design of the block and the coolant doesn't get get fully through the water jackets as quickly as necessary.   The diverters channel more coolant to the rear of the engine for better cooling.  They are worth the investment to keep it as cool as possible.  Some run without the thermostats in the top hoses of the radiator, but at times you need that to get the engine working properly at the proper temperature.   200 degrees isn't unreasonable, and with good circulation you should be fine with the diverters installed!!